GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently November 21 17, 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: New iPhone X
PostPosted: September 12 17, 5:41 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm
Posts: 22504
It's funny that the last thing I want to do with my phone is talk. I've never liked talking on the phone.

I like going with one version back of whatever's current. Doesn't save as much money as it used to though. The new 8s look like the 7s but have wireless charging, which might be worth it to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New iPhone X
PostPosted: September 12 17, 7:44 pm 
Online
All Hail the New GDT Master
User avatar

Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Posts: 8467
Location: Columbus, OH
Socnorb11 wrote:
My phone:

Image



There is ZERO chance that I'll ever pay $500 - $1000 for a phone.



Image

Nice upgrade


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New iPhone X
PostPosted: September 13 17, 6:24 am 
Offline
gone fission
User avatar

Joined: December 11 07, 4:15 pm
Posts: 7163
Location: St. Paul MN
ghostrunner wrote:
It's funny that the last thing I want to do with my phone is talk. I've never liked talking on the phone.

I like going with one version back of whatever's current. Doesn't save as much money as it used to though. The new 8s look like the 7s but have wireless charging, which might be worth it to me.


That's always been Apple's schtick with the iPhones though. New designs are every two years, with the years in between just being the "S" versions that have the same physical dimensions just better internals. Instead of calling them the 7S and 7S+ this time they're calling them the 8 and 8+ though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New iPhone X
PostPosted: September 13 17, 7:15 am 
Offline
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: October 8 14, 11:41 am
Posts: 2532
I've been an Apple fan boy for a long time and have had the iPhone since the original model came out about 10 years ago. I usually stay about one model behind the current version, but the last few years I've been getting iPhone burnout. I'm ready to go back to buying a lower cost Android and getting a service like Republic Wireless.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New iPhone X
PostPosted: September 13 17, 7:39 am 
Online
has a link from 538 to share
User avatar

Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
Posts: 33489
Location: Chicago, IL
Hoot45 wrote:
I've been an Apple fan boy for a long time and have had the iPhone since the original model came out about 10 years ago. I usually stay about one model behind the current version, but the last few years I've been getting iPhone burnout. I'm ready to go back to buying a lower cost Android and getting a service like Republic Wireless.


There really isn't a good reason to upgrade anymore. In the past 4 year or so mid-range phones have been good enough where a 2 year upgrade cycle isn't necessary. The screens a reasonably good and they are fast enough to do most basic phone functions like internet and video.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New iPhone X
PostPosted: September 13 17, 8:09 am 
Offline
tl;dr

Joined: May 21 09, 12:41 pm
Posts: 2885
I'm getting a little more comfortable with iOS since the company gave me an iPad last year but I would still never buy an iPhone. I'm an Android person through and through. I pre-ordered the G1 from T-Mobile back in 2008 and have never looked back. For a long time I couldn't even navigate an iPhone if one of my relatives asked for help. Not having an actual back button made no sense to me at all.

The only reason I'm glad I bought the Pixel instead of something cheaper (I had no choice since I destroyed my 5X and needed a Project Fi compatible phone the same day) is porn. VR porn with the Daydream headset is an entirely different experience.

/secrets


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New iPhone X
PostPosted: September 13 17, 8:20 am 
Online
'Burb Boy
User avatar

Joined: July 9 06, 11:33 am
Posts: 15542
Location: Out of the Loop
I've just never had luck with Android phones for whatever reason. iPhones have always worked well for me. Upgraded to the 7 after having the 5s for nearly three years, and the biggest reason I did that was for more storage.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New iPhone X
PostPosted: September 13 17, 9:11 am 
Offline
All-Star

Joined: April 18 06, 7:45 pm
Posts: 2984
I've got a 7. We'd been on a monthly plan through Verizon that was cheaper for about four years using a few years old refurbished iPhone. Last year we started having problems. Apps wouldn't update because you had to have newer then an iPhone 4 to be up to date. So we signed a 2 year contract with att bought one iPhone 7 and got one free. They also threw in two iPad minis so long as we pay $20 a month for a data package. I really like the 7 but can't see me upgrading until they just quit servicing them like they did with 4 and older models.


Last edited by Diddy on September 13 17, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New iPhone X
PostPosted: September 13 17, 10:30 am 
Offline
The Last Word
User avatar

Joined: July 3 06, 2:19 pm
Posts: 7974
Location: Indianapolis
Michael wrote:
There really isn't a good reason to upgrade anymore. In the past 4 year or so mid-range phones have been good enough where a 2 year upgrade cycle isn't necessary. The screens a reasonably good and they are fast enough to do most basic phone functions like internet and video.

I was only half paying attention but VICE News Tonight had a really segment on this last night. I think the conclusion was...that's the point. Make the high end product not really worth it so the mid-level phone seems like a compromise and they can sell more of them.

I also just noticed you double space after periods.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New iPhone X
PostPosted: September 13 17, 10:51 am 
Offline
just can't quit you.
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
Posts: 21453
Location: Lost
vinsanity wrote:
Michael wrote:
There really isn't a good reason to upgrade anymore. In the past 4 year or so mid-range phones have been good enough where a 2 year upgrade cycle isn't necessary. The screens a reasonably good and they are fast enough to do most basic phone functions like internet and video.

I was only half paying attention but VICE News Tonight had a really segment on this last night. I think the conclusion was...that's the point. Make the high end product not really worth it so the mid-level phone seems like a compromise and they can sell more of them.
I also just noticed you double space after periods.


Us old farts who took typing classes in high school and wrote research papers in College find it a bit difficult to break the habit of double spacing after a period. It also has the added benefit of annoying you whipper snappers who only use one space.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CardsofSTL, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group