GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 21 17, 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 653 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66
 Post subject: Re: The Asshat Thread
PostPosted: October 2 17, 1:24 pm 
Consider him admonished

[tweet] [/tweet]

PostPosted: October 2 17, 1:44 pm 
Mayor of GRB

I wish simple expressions of sympathy weren't so difficult.

PostPosted: October 12 17, 12:45 pm 
tl;dr

I just found out that I probably put myself in this category on Monday or Tuesday by accident. We found out Monday that our facility services group is being laid off and their last day is next week. Some of us were talking about it outside and trying to figure out who is and isn't impacted and they were trying to figure out who one guy is. I am not friends with him on Facebook but a friend of mine sent me a picture of him awhile back that he'd posted (and sent to her). Well, in the picture are a couple of assault rifles, body armor and a big knife. He's holding the rifles, wearing the body armor and the knife is hanging from the body armor covering his junk. I showed the picture because it's hilarious when you know the guy personally which most of us did. Then I joked that maybe the layoff is why we just had an active shooter drill a couple of days before, which also happened to be the day that they told the people they were getting laid off.

What I didn't think about is that one of the women was born in Yugoslavia and fled to the US to get away from the horrible things her and her family went through there in the early 90s. Coupled with the Vegas mass shooting, which caused her to have flashbacks, the picture I showed and the joke about the active shooter drill caused her to get worried. She was worried enough that she pulled her boss into a conference room the other day to talk to him about it.

I feel really bad that I'm pretty much the one who made the joke and showed the picture that caused her to be afraid. I want to apologize to her but I figure it's probably best to just leave it alone and never mention it. Definitely a reminder to be a lot more careful about pictures and jokes like that when you don't know the background of everybody around you. We talk all the time and I knew where she was from but we never talked about why her family came here and I never made the connection.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 653 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66