GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently December 10 19, 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48
PostPosted: December 2 19, 3:29 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/ ... 452&ev11=1

CYBERDEAL19 discount code gets this one into your ballpark. Close anyway.

PostPosted: December 2 19, 7:39 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Was thinking a garmin inreach would be cool way to spend this upcoming load of REI dividends. Not sure of my need for it ...it would be a maaajor upgrade to my safety communications on solo journeys , maybe too much so.

Currently my communication -it is sometimes having cell service and sometimes remembering to share my journey plans and ETAs with my wife. Which is generally fine for the 1-2 days in areas I am usually familiar with.

'
Quote:
Roam far and wide without worrying your loved ones. The Garmin inReach Explorer+ satellite communicator is a GPS tracker, navigation tool, 2-way satellite messenger and SOS device all in one

I guess I'd have to do MR340, to keep in crew contact, to make it worth the purchase

PostPosted: December 3 19, 8:36 am 
gone fission

Freed Roger wrote:
Was thinking a garmin inreach would be cool way to spend this upcoming load of REI dividends. Not sure of my need for it ...it would be a maaajor upgrade to my safety communications on solo journeys , maybe too much so.

Currently my communication -it is sometimes having cell service and sometimes remembering to share my journey plans and ETAs with my wife. Which is generally fine for the 1-2 days in areas I am usually familiar with.

'
Quote:
Roam far and wide without worrying your loved ones. The Garmin inReach Explorer+ satellite communicator is a GPS tracker, navigation tool, 2-way satellite messenger and SOS device all in one

I guess I'd have to do MR340, to keep in crew contact, to make it worth the purchase

My wife uses the free RoadID app whenever she goes for a long run. You set it up with phone numbers for contacts and it will send occasional text updates to those numbers along with a link to track their route. If more than a defined period elapses with no movement (i.e. you've been injured), it sends alert messages/phone calls and whatnot.

Granted, you have to stay in cell coverage for everything. But it's also free.

PostPosted: December 3 19, 12:11 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Swirls wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:

'
Quote:

My wife uses the free RoadID app whenever she goes for a long run. You set it up with phone numbers for contacts and it will send occasional text updates to those numbers along with a link to track their route. If more than a defined period elapses with no movement (i.e. you've been injured), it sends alert messages/phone calls and whatnot.

Granted, you have to stay in cell coverage for everything. But it's also free.

The limitations of RoadID app would cause too many false alarms for my use. And I don't take a cell on most routine things But glad to know about it. I wouldn't mind my daughter trying that.

Garmin Inreach's messaging is satellite GPS based, rather than cell. At least that is my understanding. Again, it is probabaly more than I need for typical use. (Unless Mrs Freed wants to find what tavern I paddled or rode to) hoping to do some longer multi-day adventures in upcoming years -that would be great. Wouldn't hurt to be able to send out a text at night though, a lot of Ozarks arent covered by cell.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48