SECRETS

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: SECRETS

Post by Radbird »

I only watch Quick Pitch after a win.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Radbird wrote:I only watch Quick Pitch after a win.
Same

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I got thrown out at first base on a line drive to left field on Monday. In coed, rec league softball. By a guy from Scotland who was playing his fourth game of softball ever after only watching baseball for the last year and a half since he moved to the US.

He had tried to throw out the girl who batted before me at first from left and his throw was late and wild (but not out of play) so when I hit my ball, I was barely jogging and watching the runners who were already on base. I was partially trying to goad him into a throw thinking it would most likely be wild and it would lead to another run. The other part was just not even paying attention when he threw the ball. I didn't even see him throw it and by the time I realized what was happening, it was too late. In the end, we had already won the first game 11-4 and then won the game where I got thrown out at first 9-0 so I can laugh at my stupid self now.

He grew up playing cricket and the skills clearly transfer to softball. He is so much fun to play with and against because he goes 100% at all times and is laughing and joking the entire time. His good mood is infectious during games. Somebody will hit a foul ball into the street near left field and the umpire will yell to let it go. Nah, he's still going to get the ball no matter how much you yell for him to leave it alone. He doesn't even hear us yelling at him to leave it be and get back to left field. It was also hilarious that before the first game he played, he didn't even have a glove so between leaving work and the game he ran to the store and bought a glove and bat. Then he didn't know that sunflower seeds were what people eat during games, but he wanted to bring something so he was on the bleachers before the game started offering everybody... Swedish Fish!

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

oh man, if we are confessing slo-pitch softball secrets- yeah, I've struck out swinging.

Worse time - I rounded 2nd about half way to 3rd - 3d baseman had the ball, I look back and no one is anywhere near covering 2d (it was kind of a busted play or overthrow IIRC with everybody out of position), so I kind of taunt the 3d basemen by slowly heading back to 2d and yep, the 3d baseman ran me down.

And in the OF, I had too many misjudged flies to recount - once upon a time I could turn my back run to the spot , and make a catch - well that skill went away without practice - and a few times Ozunad the ball. Not to mention the flies I Baby Dunc-ed, Hollidayed etc.
Last edited by Freed Roger on June 27 19, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I struck out LOOKING on Monday night. The sun was terrible and a lot of others did as well because we couldn't see the ball if it was pitched in just the right spot. So, with respect to the sun, I'll admit to what has to be a record of some sort.

I STRUCK OUT (SWINGING) INTO A TRIPLE PLAY!!!

I was filling in for some friends in a fall league in Affton a couple of years ago and they have a rule there that if you leave the base and contact isn't made before you do then you're out. I stepped up with the bases loaded and proceeded to foul the first pitch off (barely) and then completely whiff on strike 3. Triple play. Inning over. Would have been a quadruple play if that were a thing.

The really dumb thing that I do regularly is lose track of outs and get doubled up on pop ups because I think there are already two outs and I just start jogging to the next base. It happens to (almost) everybody from time to time but I did it at least four times in my work league last year.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

The other super lazy thing I did Monday night actually ended up great and nobody realized that I just got lucky and instead thought I planned it.

I was pitching and the other team's pitcher, who had struck me out looking, was up. We just needed one more out to end the game. The team we were playing is from the building I work in, but I play for a different building so I see everybody that we were playing against every day including the pitcher who sits two rows over from me. I also fill in with them half the time because they never have enough players. We talk a lot of trash to each other about softball, especially during games.

Anyway, he was down to his last strike after a foul ball and hit a really high popup that I didn't even bother chasing after even though I was the only one who could possibly get it. As I was walking my way towards the first base line where the ball was going to come down, he yelled at me that I wasn't going to get to the ball as he ran by. I just said, "I know," and waited for the ball to hit the ground. As soon as it hit the ground, the backspin caused it to roll right into foul territory where I picked it up and finished my reply with, "but I don't have to get to it because you just struck out."

My team thought I planned it that way and realized the backspin would take it foul so it was smarter to not run over there and miss it, knocking it out of play from fair territory and giving up the extra base since I'm always telling our infielders on certain balls to just let them go based on the spin and 99% of the time I'm right. That wasn't the case though. I just honestly didn't feel like potentially hurting myself trying to get to that ball with a 7 run lead and only one out to go. I was lazy. I had no idea that it was going to end up foul until after it hit the ground.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I don't like Fleetwood Mac. I've tried. People whose musical taste I respect love them. It all just sounds like vanilla cheez to me. Sorry, people who love the fraught relationship dynamic that created all of their breakup songs. It's boring to me.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

heyzeus wrote:
February 14 20, 9:47 am
I don't like Fleetwood Mac. I've tried. People whose musical taste I respect love them. It all just sounds like vanilla cheez to me. Sorry, people who love the fraught relationship dynamic that created all of their breakup songs. It's boring to me.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

heyzeus wrote:
Same. I just can't get into them.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

heyzeus wrote:
I'm not a big fan, either. However, I can usually find the good in just about any band. (Almost any band.) Before you swear them off, have you run across these two lesser known songs from them?

Jazzy number: (Side note: I included this homemade video version because it was filmed by 2 guys while driving into St. Louis at night. See if you can spot anything recognizable.)

Soothing instrumental, perfect for background music in a waiting room: