Ender's Game or Speaker for the Dead?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!

Which book do you prefer?

Ender's Game
67%
Speaker for the Dead
33%

Total votes: 6

BenNX74205
All-Star

Ender's Game or Speaker for the Dead?

Post by BenNX74205 »

I just finished re-reading the entire Ender series (all 8 books) for the 4th or 5th time and I've talked with friends about which book we prefer: Ender's Game or Speaker for the Dead. These are some of my favorite science fiction books and Card is a great author. I personally prefer Speaker, as I think it gets into some deeper issues and resonates more with me. If you've read both of these books I'd like to hear what you think of them. And if you haven't read them, I highly recommend them to you.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

I've read just about every Card book outside of the Alvin Maker series.

Speaker for the Dead is the best of them all. I've probably read the enders series about 5 times, and every time it's good.

Ender's Game isn't long enough to be the best book though. It establishes the foundation for the rest of the series, and Speaker for the Dead is where the series really starts to expand.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I enjoyed Ender's Game more but Speaker for the Dead is a close 2nd.

stretch
Perennial All-Star

Post by stretch »

I agree with Michael.

I would also recommend the series to anyone.

edit -- I feel like a slacker. I've only read the series once.

BenNX74205
All-Star

Post by BenNX74205 »

It was a real hard choice for me because they're really different in style and substance. But Ender's Game to me is more an enjoyable adventure story, with Speaker expanding on the universe and getting deeper into humanity and redemption. Plus, Speaker is the only sequel I know of that takes place 3000 years later :wink:

Anybody have strong feelings one way or the other on the "Shadow" series (the four books that follow Bean)? Those are a completely different breed, but I also love those. Especially seeing the growth of Peter, who Card turned into a great character. But you can't beat the original set.