Documentaries

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Documentaries

Post by lukethedrifter »

Watched The Devil and Daniel Johnston last night. Really well done and an interesting story to boot. Next up is Ghengis Blues. What have you seen, rec, want to see? Or do you hate docs? Anyone been to True/False in CoMo?

Simbagal23
All-Star

Re: Documentaries

Post by Simbagal23 »

Buena Vista Social Club---about Cuban musicians, with Ry Cooder....loved it.

Grizzly Man--strange but, like a car wreck, I couldn't stop watching this!

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

I've been a junkie for documentaries lately. Specifically, I can't stop watching 3 and 4 hour PBS American Experience episodes about political figures. The LBJ episode was amazing, the RFK episode was equally amazing, and even the three hours of Jimmy Carter kept me entertained easily. Next up is FDR.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

Some others that I've seen recently:

-The Murder of Fred Hampton
This one was a little eye-opening in that it was filmed in real-time with the murder of the former head of the Illinois chapter of the Black Panthers. But all there was in the film was footage- no explanation whatsoever as to what was going on. I wouldn't recommend it.

-The Untold Story of Emmitt Louis Till
Highly, highly, highly recommended. This might be the most powerful documentary I've ever seen.

-History's Mysteries: The Strange Case of Lizzie Borden
Typical History Channel fare. I enjoyed it greatly, though it was very clearly dated- they tried desperately to draw parallels to Lizzie Borden and the OJ case.

omaha_red
Hall Of Famer

Post by omaha_red »

capturing the friedmans - very interesting look at a normal family only the dad was a pedophile

grey gardens - this was about jackie kennedy's family.. they were crazy..

born into brothels - very sad.. about a lady who goes to india to teach children how to take photographs..

deliver us from evil (be prepared to hate the Catholic church after this one)

the bridge - this was about people who jump off the golden gate bridge.. very interesting and tons of real footage of people jumping..

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I'm interested in the more cinematic docs as opposed to History Channel type bios etc. Are any of those you mentioned that sort, RC?

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

lukethedrifter wrote:I'm interested in the more cinematic docs as opposed to History Channel type bios etc. Are any of those you mentioned that sort, RC?
The Emmitt Till one was cinematic (non-PBS, non-History Channel). I can't recommend that one enough.

I'd recommend "Don't Look Back" but I'm a million percent sure that you've seen it already.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

RC21* wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:I'm interested in the more cinematic docs as opposed to History Channel type bios etc. Are any of those you mentioned that sort, RC?
The Emmitt Till one was cinematic (non-PBS, non-History Channel). I can't recommend that one enough.

I'd recommend "Don't Look Back" but I'm a million percent sure that you've seen it already.
I should watch it again. I also saw Capturing the Friedmans. Good film. Odd family.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

pop_haines wrote:Shoah - extremely harsh doc on the holocaust
I've heard that documentary will change your life. And it's nine hours or whatever.

omaha_red
Hall Of Famer

Post by omaha_red »

RC21* wrote:
pop_haines wrote:Shoah - extremely harsh doc on the holocaust
I've heard that documentary will change your life. And it's nine hours or whatever.
if you want a much shorter version.. try

night and fog - it's not even 30 minutes.. but it's equally tough to watch..