The Beer Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by Hoot45 »

Just picked up 12 cans of new brews I hadn't tried before to get me and a buddy through (maybe?) another winter storm this weekend. Someone at the liquor store said Maplewood is "blowing up right now". Thoughts on that from our Chicagoland friends?

Maplewood Son of Juice (Chicago)
Toppling Goliath Golden Nugget (Decoarh, IA)
Stillwater Dank Dank (Baltimore)

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

I love this.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Hoot45 wrote:Just picked up 12 cans of new brews I hadn't tried before to get me and a buddy through (maybe?) another winter storm this weekend. Someone at the liquor store said Maplewood is "blowing up right now". Thoughts on that from our Chicagoland friends?

Maplewood Son of Juice (Chicago)
Toppling Goliath Golden Nugget (Decoarh, IA)
Stillwater Dank Dank (Baltimore)
Very late to this but YAAAAAAASSSSSS.

Maplewood makes good beer. Son of Juice is great, and the handful of times per year that they make Juice Pants it's a must have for me. Their Pulaski Pils is good, the Pug dark beer and its variants are good, the Charlatan APA is great, everything I've had from them so far I have liked a lot.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

sighyoung wrote:Image

I love this.
thanks for reminder, it is great. readily available here, thus I tend to tune it out- strange how I do that. drinking one tonite after a Perennial (local) saison which was also good. tank 7 wins by a nose.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Lots of beer folks made a lot of to-do about Shaun Berns leaving More Brewing to open his own spot, Phase Three Brew. He led More to local savior status with his hazy NE IPA, sours and stouts, and people are kinda flipping out over what Phase Three will be. They're contract brewing and supposedly coming very close (like a couple weeks or less) to releasing beer. I'm fairly stoked, I loved his sours at More and am kind of a sucker for IPA.

I've kind of hit this point with beer where I don't care what it is, I just want something with some flavor, regardless the flavor. This guy makes very flavorful beer.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Beer Ramble.- DogfishHead merging with Sam Adams- why? Screw that.

Locally, gol dang there are a lot of breweries. Still liking the Logboat and Piney River Brewing...because I like floating rivers. Nothing spectacular, but every beer is solid so far.

Perennial has moved up my list, liking those saisons. They make and imperial stout too, black can....can't remember name. Man is it an easy drink for high abv.

Canned beer prevalence. I guess I adapt.

Rogue is still one of my favorite brewers. I veer towards IPAs in the summer, I know it isn't cool to admit you like them. Uinta hop nosh. Bear Republic Racer 5(go to IL to get). Bells Two Hearted.

Weird how I have gotten to like 4 Hands City Wide so much. Maybe because its bigger can. And I am getting cheap for store beer(I still splurge when eating out) and, can get a 4 pack at Walgreens. Deschutes Mirror Pond solid bargain craft. And my malty' sweet tooth likes Alaskan Amber but the cheap price makes me wonder if it's part of InBev portfolio. Then I will have to get something else.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Civil Life Brown. It’s my draft go to when I’m out. I needed a beer to call my own.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

lukethedrifter wrote:
That is WELL worth the time to read it. Brilliant.