The Beer Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by Freed Roger »

Swirls wrote:
Jocephus wrote: why does booze have to be so caloric?!
Because that's what makes it good. There's a reason nobody* drinks that Bud Select 55 / MGD 60 / ultra low calorie crap. Because it's awful.

*nobody that I trust anyway
You ever see a person get thinner by drinking lo-cal beer?

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Freed Roger wrote:
Swirls wrote:
Jocephus wrote: why does booze have to be so caloric?!
Because that's what makes it good. There's a reason nobody* drinks that Bud Select 55 / MGD 60 / ultra low calorie crap. Because it's awful.

*nobody that I trust anyway
You ever see a person get thinner by drinking lo-cal beer?
i've seen a few michelob ultra commercials lately and they use work out imagery in it and i find it very odd; the contrast is weird.

ended up enjoying the sally. had 3 when i should have just done 2 but i was diggin the soury taste to it. kind of took me by surprise.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

Freed Roger wrote:
I like the Urban Chestnut version again, but refuse to call it O-Katz. It'll always be Oachleeslalahafffeezzzeeee to me.
My buddy and I call it "Oh [expletive] a loaf"

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

lukethedrifter wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
JL21 wrote:This is a pretty interesting read about how the craft beer movement has ditched Sam Adams and Jim Koch.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/restauran ... dams-beer/

It honestly leaves me a little conflicted about a lot of stuff. Koch sounds like a total jackass in the first paragraph or two.
Good article.
It's interesting. I had thought the maturation of the craft beer movement meant shifting away from West Coast IPA as the American ideal micro. Sounds like I'm wrong.
A fun podcast with Jim Koch. Seems less like an ass than the article above.
http://one.npr.org/?sharedMediaId=499205761:499297694

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

Thanks to that beer festival this weekend, I racked up a ton of unicorns, including:

-Maine Lunch

-Westbrook Barrel-Aged Mexican Cake

-Cigar City Hunahpu's Imperial Stout

-The Bruery, Grey Monday

-Hill Farmstead, Arthur

-Jester King Provenance

-Great Lakes Barrel-Aged Christmas Ale

These were all delicious. I'd love to do Maine and Hill Farmstead again, and I REALLY wish I had a big fat sixer of the Jester King Provenance back in July when it was a billion degrees. Hunahpu was basically a sweet, delicious delicious decadent dessert. Grey Monday was a beast (18% ABV) with a surprisingly pleasant flavor- all oaky and caramel and vanilla. It smelled like rubbing alcohol until it warmed up a bit but tasted amazing- probably my fave at the festival.

The IPA fascination is kind of eye-roll worthy, but the Maine Lunch is one of the best balanced IPAs I've ever had.

The only one I was disappointed with the was the Westbrook beer... which fits right into my "trust southerners with biscuits, fried chicken, and bourbon but not beer" theory.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

JL21 wrote:Thanks to that beer festival this weekend, I racked up a ton of unicorns, including:

-Maine Lunch

-Westbrook Barrel-Aged Mexican Cake

-Cigar City Hunahpu's Imperial Stout

-The Bruery, Grey Monday

-Hill Farmstead, Arthur

-Jester King Provenance

-Great Lakes Barrel-Aged Christmas Ale

These were all delicious. I'd love to do Maine and Hill Farmstead again, and I REALLY wish I had a big fat sixer of the Jester King Provenance back in July when it was a billion degrees. Hunahpu was basically a sweet, delicious delicious decadent dessert. Grey Monday was a beast (18% ABV) with a surprisingly pleasant flavor- all oaky and caramel and vanilla. It smelled like rubbing alcohol until it warmed up a bit but tasted amazing- probably my fave at the festival.

The IPA fascination is kind of eye-roll worthy, but the Maine Lunch is one of the best balanced IPAs I've ever had.

The only one I was disappointed with the was the Westbrook beer... which fits right into my "trust southerners with biscuits, fried chicken, and bourbon but not beer" theory.
My God. Come to Portland. A number of times I've been out with no option for a Lager or Pilsner or anything else that isn't as dense as fruitcake (Fruitcake IPA almost certainly being a thing). Makes sense given our proximity to great hops, and I even like an IPA, but damn. In Portland we're delightfully different in very narrowly prescribed ways. For instance, our great beers are all IPAs.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

I love the Great Lakes Christmas Ale. I must now try their barrel aged version.

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:My God. Come to Portland. A number of times I've been out with no option for a Lager or Pilsner or anything else that isn't as dense as fruitcake (Fruitcake IPA almost certainly being a thing). Makes sense given our proximity to great hops, and I even like an IPA, but damn. In Portland we're delightfully different in very narrowly prescribed ways. For instance, our great beers are all IPAs.
Same with San Diego. They have so many breweries there, and a big beer industry, but they all make the same beer.

Those low-cal beers are crappy because there are four things that make great beer and rice and corn are not among them. Yeah, they make beer low-cal and cheap but they don't make it taste good the way good old fashioned malt (which gives us more starch/sugar to turn to alcohol, thus more calories and booze) does.

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

Freed Roger wrote:
Jocephus wrote:bought a pack of lagunitas aunt sally. i guess it gots some sour/tartness to it?

i don't think i've had this before but can't say i remember for sure. definitely enjoy the lagunitas i've had.
You are going to stir up TM54 with this.
Nah, I'm a drink-what-you-like guy. Same as bourbon or whatever else.

IIRC Jo, you like the sticky sticky, yeah? So do the guys at Lagunitas. I think I posted this before, but hops are in the same family as weed. Because they like the sticky sticky at Lagunitas they hop their beers with pretty dank hops. It fits their taste, so it lines up that their beers would fit yours. They use the same yeast strain for just about every beer they make, so if someone likes their IPA they'll probably like the others. I find them kind of all the same and am not a big fan. I also am not a big fan of them suing Sierra Nevada over something as trifling as the kerning on a font, and do not like them moving to Chicago (where we have great water and reduce their distro costs) and championing it as a move back to their founder's roots.

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

Jocephus wrote:
Bruce
12:33
With this explosion of neighborhood microbreweries, are the national brands like Stone, Lagunitas, Bell's etc losing business?

Eno Sarris
12:33
Yes. The national craft brand is in the most precarious position. Local tasting room based businesses like Fieldwork are killing it.
Eno's right. Constellation bought Ballast Point for $1 billion and already wrote down $87 million of the brand's value. There is probably another $100-200 million in write-downs coming on Ballast. Their local guys are freaked. They're complaining every time I see them about their distributor, saying they're not getting the shelf space they need. Which is odd when every time I walk into Whole Foods there's an Andre The Giant sized pyramid of Ballast Point and they virtually always have a big floor or end-of-the-aisle display at Binny's. The little guys here like Solemn Oath and Une Annee and Penrose and others who focus on taproom sales and don't worry as much about having huge buys at big-box off-premise accounts are flourishing.