Brand loyalty

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Re: Brand loyalty

Post by JCShutout »

haltz wrote:Shoe or boot? I have a pair of eccos that I really like that are more like leather tennis shoes or loafers
Looking for something to go with a potential new suit, so formal. (My assumption is I'll go with a classic pair of oxfords as I figure they won't go out of style, but if the right boot is formal, I'll do it.) And before anyone suggests it, I'm just not into chukkas or chelseas. Just something about the shape that doesn't work for me.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

ENO hammocks with Atlas suspension straps are the best. TBH, I have only seen a couple others - but haven't felt compelled to move on from ENO.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I’m in a Kammock.

I have no brand loyalty to any mosquito repellent. None of them work. I’m still recovering from the onslaught in the Badlands the night before last.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

I guess the big one is I am now a Subaru loyalist.

I sometimes think Subaru should be paying me for this loyalty.

On vacation at gas station I saw a cool looking Bronco made into a convertible with roll bars etc.
Then I looked over at my Crosstrek (a small Subaru) with 2 SUPs on top, two bikes on back and my sunroof open -my envy disappeared.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Two Subaru stories. That one winter storm we had that closed 44 down in Pacific MO. I was cruising up down hills and backroads where people were stuck and off the road everywhere. I was amazed, and didnt even have the X-mode balancing for extra traction thing going.

Exploring down in Mark Twain Natl Forest, I saw a Harmon Springs Campground on the map so decided to check it out. Damn, it is not really a drive-in CG but a hike-in (with one of the many logging roads to access)

. I've driven worse pathways/road before but this was longer haul. And pretty dense and narrow, so once I got on it, seeing it out to the end was the apparent easiest way to turn around other than backing up a rough hill for a mile (maybe embellished distance-but I admittedly suck at backing up even with the camera)

Just before I hit the "Campground" there was a flowing drainage that took all my clearance to get over. Anyways, instead of being worried about getting stuck down there without cell service, potential expensive haul out -it was a fun little trip even though Harmon Springs is not much to see.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

lukethedrifter wrote:I’m in a Kammock.
I got one from the original kickstarter and it's still in great shape. Quality product. I hook it up on my porch. Take it camping. I love it for fly fishing in the summer because when it gets hot out the bite can dry up, so you end up killing a few hours with a few beers in a hammock. It's incredible.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

What does the Kammock have that differentiates ?

I've got a Grand Trunk hammock in my pile o' stuff. I don't care for the thinner cord (as opposed to flat straps) suspension. Doesn't look easily adjustable, and friendly to the trees trunks.

Also wasted 40 on hammock a Facebook false advertised product (flying squirrel.. ?). It's a lame base hammock itself without straps and zip on mosquito and rain fly and some other gizmos I forgot about already.
Last edited by Freed Roger on July 16 19, 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I honestly don't know. I just bought it a long time ago and then never looked at another camping hammock again.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

How about dry bags? I an upgrading to newer sea to summits -though wasn't a fan of their older ones. I still have some of the flimsier old ones that leak and fall apart to store/carry things in, but need to remind myself that the old ones aren't actually waterproof. I went into the lake with my phone in the newer versions and it came up fine.

Big fan of Deuter packs. My 15L daypack is durable and great. , has the 2 straps if I want to run a bit with it. A place for a water bladder and hose. Straps on nicely to my SUP. They breath decently on your back

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I have a filson dry pack backpack and a patagonia dry pack fly sling/pack.

You SUP? I'm thinking of getting one to paddle and fish on the Illinois River here in Peoria. Dodge barges and party boats with my fly rod. Do my part to fight against the asian carp invasion. Got any recs for SUP's that don't tip over and aren't incredibly expensive?