Brand loyalty

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Re: Brand loyalty

Post by jim »

Levi's. I honestly don't know that I've ever bought any other pair of jeans in my life. Maybe some Wranglers a long time ago.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Heinz Ketchup
Rawlings baseball gloves.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

Trojan rubbers.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

A couple years ago I bought a Tilley hat to take to Barbados for my honeymoon. It was marketed as "the greatest hat in the world." They are. My god - lifetime guarantee, repels water/snow, UV protecting, moisture wicking, etc etc. I know I posted about it at least once on here - I thought it was in this thread, but it doesn't look like anyone has posted in this one for a while.

I have an LTM6 in Olive (this one) and I wear it all the time from mid-Spring through mid-Fall if I'm going to be spending at least a couple hours or more doing any sort of outdoor activity. I love it so much Mrs. Swirls and I actually bought one for each of our dads last year for Xmas. They love theirs, too.
[SHOW]
They're running a winter closeout sale right now for 50% off, so I got the itch and bought one of their fancy winter hats - the TW2 in authentic Harris Tweed wool (this guy). It's even got an ear flap that tucks up inside the hat when not in use.
[SHOW]
So I figure I can wear my winter one from mid-Fall through mid-Spring, and switch back to my olive green one for the other six months out of the year.

Anyone else on here ever own a Tilley hat?

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Adidas and Puma for shoes but not 100% on that, just the brands I tend to buy.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

My Tilley hat came in over the weekend. I [expletive] love it. Wore it to work today in fact.

Donnie Ebert
Perennial All-Star

Post by Donnie Ebert »

Swirls wrote:My Tilley hat came in over the weekend. I [expletive] love it. Wore it to work today in fact.
What size did you go with compared to your baseball cap size?

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Donnie Ebert wrote:
Swirls wrote:My Tilley hat came in over the weekend. I [expletive] love it. Wore it to work today in fact.
What size did you go with compared to your baseball cap size?
I don't have a clue as to my baseball cap size, since I tend to just buy Flexfit hats. I wear a medium in that.

I tried on my first Tilley hat at an actual outdoor backpacking store back when I lived in South Carolina, which I then bought. My Tilley's are a 7-3/8" so overall I have a small-ish/medium sized head. They're supposed to be a little big so it sits lower on your head than a regular cowboy hat or something. Mine both sit a little above my eyebrow.

Tilley does free exchanges as long as the hat is unworn, and their turnaround time is really fast - they'll usually send your replacement hat the same day they receive your original under/oversized one. My father-in-laws hat for Xmas was undersized - we mailed it back to Tilley on 12/29, and the replacement hat arrived on 1/5. And that includes a holiday weekend. You can either pay your own shipping or use their included return label (it's a $9 USPS flat rate label).

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Thought it best to post this here.

I have a pair of 12 or 13 year old Justin Boots that I have worn as my primary footwear for years, main workboots when doing demo work or working on my car, and have generally beaten the heck out of them. I love them, and they are still going strong, but have had so much paint and oil spilled on them, a few nail holes and some heavy scuffs that its time to stop wearing them when I'm going out somewhere nice, or just in public. They will remain my heavy work boots, but there is just so much that saddle soap and oil can do to hide paint.

Looking for a quality pull on boot. I know from the googles that Justin has lowered its boot standards in the last decade, and that some in this thread said the same about Red Wings not made in the US. (Something about the souls being poor quality, too late to dig back through the thread) I'll take care of them. If I can work a $90 pair of boots to death and still go strong after a dozen-plus years, I can make a $150 or $200 pair last a lifetime on light/everyday use.

Googling around and reading a billion reviews is fine, (though time consuming, and I don't have a lot of sit in front of the computer time) but I wanted to know if anyone here had suggestions or a brand they really love with a model similar to what I've pictured. Has to sport a size 14 and comfort is king.

Similar to what I have, similar to what I want.

So, GRBers, advice please. I know some have listed it already in this thread, but that's a lot of digging around, and its late, and I've gotta get up early.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

I'm an Ariat boot-wearer for life. I have a pair of soft toe cowboy boots (they're this model, but mine have some blue side stitching) that I wear when going out or to the barn to see the wife's horse.

I have a pair of composite toe safety boots that I wear to work every day (these ones right here). They are phenomenal. I actually bought my dad the same style boot but in their lined waterproof safety toe version.

Also, coming from someone who works in the town of Red Wing MN, I can vouch for part of their boot quality going downhill. If you find the hand-stitched soles, those are still made here in the US at the plant here in town - those still have the quality Red Wing is known for. If you find the vulcanized/cemented soles (common in their safety toe boots), those are now made in China - they're the ones that are causing the overall boot/brand quality to go downhill.