Our financial system is crumbling this week.

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: Our financial system is crumbling this week.

Post by Freed Roger »

He did say he was going to make America Great again.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

heyzeus wrote:Mnuchin calling the banks:

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Market is fine!

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Stocks dipping again, with renewed fears that a recession may be on the horizon.

Bad news if you are retiring or your job is a bit unstable. Good news if you really want Trump out of office by January 2021.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Popeye_Card wrote:Stocks dipping again, with renewed fears that a recession may be on the horizon.

Bad news if you are retiring or your job is a bit unstable. Good news if you really want Trump out of office by January 2021.
Obligatory the stock market is not the economy disclaimer for us here:

But yeah lots of reason for concern. My wife works in freight industry, which is struggling now- sort of a harbinger of a downturn?

Though freight partly down because Amazon, and now uber have entered the field - willing to do business at a loss to gain market share.

I suspect it hits the middle the most, and young people without the familial financial backing to "move up the ladder" though is that really moving up the ladder, when you already have the support.? People on the lower economic rungs won't move up, but their labor is still needed and they can hardly move lower.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Also, the economy and the market has been significantly juiced by deregulation, interest rates still held down and massive govt deficit spending ,(tax cuts,). I will look, but think there is data showing our economy isn't that great relative to the govt stimulants.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Freed Roger wrote:Also, the economy and the market has been significantly juiced by deregulation, interest rates still held down and massive govt deficit spending ,(tax cuts,). I will look, but think there is data showing our economy isn't that great relative to the govt stimulants.
When you get all of that together I am going to need you to explain it all to my dad. I sure can't.

He hears Fox News talk about the stock market being up and the auto repair shop he works at has more business than they can handle so he thinks the economy is great.

I asked him recently if the majority of this extra business recently was your standard maintenance stuff like oil changes, tune ups and that kind of stuff and he says that the increase has been in actual high dollar repairs. That tells me that things aren't as great as he thinks. But of course he doesn't want to listen to my view that maybe they have so much business because people haven't been able to afford new cars for awhile on their stagnating salaries so they are being forced to get their old ones fixed whereas they would have bought a new car before.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

A crash is coming. A real one this time.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »