Our financial system is crumbling this week.

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Re: Our financial system is crumbling this week.

Post by IMADreamer »

As far as my stocks/bonds part of my portfolio I'm at 80/20. I seemed to do fine today but I fully expect to take a hit in the coming years, but I've always been told you just stay the course. Where I'm getting creamed on net worth right now is land prices. They are steadily going down with no end in sight. There are four farms up for sale this winter within ten miles of me. I'd like to buy a little more but I feel like I should wait. Especially since farm ground isn't paying for itself right now.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

What happens when:

Mueller report comes out.
Dems control one branch of govt.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

My 401k dropped almost 10% yesterday.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Swirls wrote:My 401k dropped almost 10% yesterday.
I lost about 5% in the past couple days. Not sure I want to check again. I did make the temporary move of stopping contributions to Roth/deferred comp retirement accounts and shifted that biweekly allotment to savings. Employer does not contribute so I’m not losing out there.
Side note: I hate having to hope the City stays solvent just so I can receive my pension.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

My 403b is down, but when I compare it to a year ago (October 2017), it is still up over that period of time. But these two big dips in 2018 have definitely set me back. Every time I walk into a class and the students haven't bothered to do the reading, I wonder how much plasma I'll have to sell over the years to get out of this job.

IMADreamer

Post by IMADreamer »

Freed Roger wrote:What happens when:

What if neither of those things are ever allowed to happen again?

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

IMADreamer wrote:

Exactly.

Over a decade ago, I realized Christian conservatives would not stop until they had control. Trump is proof power was more important than morals for this group.

Now that God has rewarded them with power, God does not want them to relinquish it.

I am resigning myself to a retirement in a fascist dictatorship that will only end when it brings about it's own utter destruction.

IMADreamer

Post by IMADreamer »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:

Exactly.

Over a decade ago, I realized Christian conservatives would not stop until they had control. Trump is proof power was more important than morals for this group.

Now that God has rewarded them with power, God does not want them to relinquish it.

I am resigning myself to a retirement in a fascist dictatorship that will only end when it brings about it's own utter destruction.
I'm probably crazy, but it bothers me that no one sees this. This isn't your typical Republican administration where things are normal and we can just vote it all away. We are absolutely plummeting towards fascism and the President of the United States is calling us the enemy of the country. His followers believe him, and they are all setting the stage to invalidate this blue wave. There will be false flag attacks and they will blame us. Then they can do whatever the hell they want. It's coming and I don't get why people think it's all just normal.

I mean hell there were right wingers beating people up in NY this week and Fox News goes out and puts it on Democrats. This is just the start. We should have been in the streets two years ago, we should be in the streets right now, and if we are not in the streets really soon it's all too late.

greenback44
Hall Of Famer

Post by greenback44 »

lukethedrifter wrote:
Swirls wrote:My 401k dropped almost 10% yesterday.
I lost about 5% in the past couple days. Not sure I want to check again. I did make the temporary move of stopping contributions to Roth/deferred comp retirement accounts and shifted that biweekly allotment to savings. Employer does not contribute so I’m not losing out there.
I would hope you can put Roth money into a GIC or stable value fund or a money market. Given the state of the national debt, I can see concerns about future taxation of Roths, but it seems odd to forego the option of (what is currently) tax-free growth.
Side note: I hate having to hope the City stays solvent just so I can receive my pension.
Yeah, the unions messed this one up bad. Somebody should have recognized that current government officials aren't necessarily worried about the financial shape of the government 20-30 years from now.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

DJIA down over 6% for 2018. NASDAQ about 5%.