GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 25 19, 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3399 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 335, 336, 337, 338, 339, 340  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: October 11 18, 9:02 pm 
Offline
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
User avatar

Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
Posts: 11456
Location: Illinois
As far as my stocks/bonds part of my portfolio I'm at 80/20. I seemed to do fine today but I fully expect to take a hit in the coming years, but I've always been told you just stay the course. Where I'm getting creamed on net worth right now is land prices. They are steadily going down with no end in sight. There are four farms up for sale this winter within ten miles of me. I'd like to buy a little more but I feel like I should wait. Especially since farm ground isn't paying for itself right now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: October 11 18, 10:21 pm 
Offline
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Posts: 24159
Location: St. Louis
What happens when:

Mueller report comes out.
Dems control one branch of govt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: October 11 18, 11:03 pm 
Offline
gone fission
User avatar

Joined: December 11 07, 4:15 pm
Posts: 7936
Location: Twin Cities, MN
My 401k dropped almost 10% yesterday.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: October 11 18, 11:41 pm 
Online
darjeeling sipping elite
User avatar

Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Posts: 36753
Location: Huis Clos
Swirls wrote:
My 401k dropped almost 10% yesterday.


I lost about 5% in the past couple days. Not sure I want to check again. I did make the temporary move of stopping contributions to Roth/deferred comp retirement accounts and shifted that biweekly allotment to savings. Employer does not contribute so I’m not losing out there.
Side note: I hate having to hope the City stays solvent just so I can receive my pension.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: October 12 18, 6:21 am 
Offline
Mayor of GRB
User avatar

Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
Posts: 32781
Location: Louisville
My 403b is down, but when I compare it to a year ago (October 2017), it is still up over that period of time. But these two big dips in 2018 have definitely set me back. Every time I walk into a class and the students haven't bothered to do the reading, I wonder how much plasma I'll have to sell over the years to get out of this job.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: October 13 18, 1:26 pm 
Offline
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
User avatar

Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
Posts: 11456
Location: Illinois
Freed Roger wrote:
What happens when:

Mueller report comes out.
Dems control one branch of govt.



What if neither of those things are ever allowed to happen again?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: October 13 18, 2:00 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: October 12 06, 2:21 pm
Posts: 16710
Location: Baseball Ref Bullpen
IMADreamer wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
What happens when:

Mueller report comes out.
Dems control one branch of govt.



What if neither of those things are ever allowed to happen again?

Exactly.

Over a decade ago, I realized Christian conservatives would not stop until they had control. Trump is proof power was more important than morals for this group.

Now that God has rewarded them with power, God does not want them to relinquish it.

I am resigning myself to a retirement in a fascist dictatorship that will only end when it brings about it's own utter destruction.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: October 13 18, 2:53 pm 
Offline
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
User avatar

Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
Posts: 11456
Location: Illinois
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
What happens when:

Mueller report comes out.
Dems control one branch of govt.



What if neither of those things are ever allowed to happen again?

Exactly.

Over a decade ago, I realized Christian conservatives would not stop until they had control. Trump is proof power was more important than morals for this group.

Now that God has rewarded them with power, God does not want them to relinquish it.

I am resigning myself to a retirement in a fascist dictatorship that will only end when it brings about it's own utter destruction.


I'm probably crazy, but it bothers me that no one sees this. This isn't your typical Republican administration where things are normal and we can just vote it all away. We are absolutely plummeting towards fascism and the President of the United States is calling us the enemy of the country. His followers believe him, and they are all setting the stage to invalidate this blue wave. There will be false flag attacks and they will blame us. Then they can do whatever the hell they want. It's coming and I don't get why people think it's all just normal.

I mean hell there were right wingers beating people up in NY this week and Fox News goes out and puts it on Democrats. This is just the start. We should have been in the streets two years ago, we should be in the streets right now, and if we are not in the streets really soon it's all too late.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: October 14 18, 2:56 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer

Joined: June 26 06, 8:54 pm
Posts: 11206
Location: kintore/yuendumu
lukethedrifter wrote:
Swirls wrote:
My 401k dropped almost 10% yesterday.


I lost about 5% in the past couple days. Not sure I want to check again. I did make the temporary move of stopping contributions to Roth/deferred comp retirement accounts and shifted that biweekly allotment to savings. Employer does not contribute so I’m not losing out there.

I would hope you can put Roth money into a GIC or stable value fund or a money market. Given the state of the national debt, I can see concerns about future taxation of Roths, but it seems odd to forego the option of (what is currently) tax-free growth.

Quote:
Side note: I hate having to hope the City stays solvent just so I can receive my pension.

Yeah, the unions messed this one up bad. Somebody should have recognized that current government officials aren't necessarily worried about the financial shape of the government 20-30 years from now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 19 18, 2:16 pm 
Offline
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Posts: 24159
Location: St. Louis
DJIA down over 6% for 2018. NASDAQ about 5%.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3399 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 335, 336, 337, 338, 339, 340  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lukethedrifter and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group