movies

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
tlombard
tl;dr

Re: movies

Post by tlombard »

CardsofSTL wrote:the interaction with Rock and the CGI was pretty convincing;
Of course it was. Dwayne Johnson just may be the greatest actor of his generation. Is there anything the guy can't do????

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

cardsfantx wrote:
The Third Man wrote:I could totally buy that. I think my favorite so far is The Lost City of Z, but that was inevitable; I'm a sucker for movies about man trying to conquer the wilderness, especially the jungle (my favorite film is Apocalypse Now, natch).
wait...it's been a bit since i've seen it, but isn't the guy in lost city of Z, charlie hunnam? the awful actor from SOA, pacific rim, that king arthur movie, etc?

wahlberg is not a good actor at all, but hunnam is truly awful...like the worst actor alive (after that poor guy died that was in those fast & furious movies? paul walker i think?)
Hunnam leans on some crutches in SOA, but I wouldn't say he's bad. He does a great job in Z.

Would never say he's worse than Wahlberg. What mystifies me about Wahlberg is talented directors continually hiring him. Only thing I genuinely liked him in was Huckabees, but I think the character was a good fit. He's a dull lead actor.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Hunnam is really good in Z. Robert Pattinson is incredible too. That guy is killing it lately. Really loving his post-twilight search for serious material.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Mark Wahlberg just opened a car dealership in Columbus so y'all haters better step off

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

thrill wrote:Hunnam is really good in Z. Robert Pattinson is incredible too. That guy is killing it lately. Really loving his post-twilight search for serious material.
Good Time just came up on Amazon Prime. Really looking forward to that.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

ghostrunner wrote:
thrill wrote:Hunnam is really good in Z. Robert Pattinson is incredible too. That guy is killing it lately. Really loving his post-twilight search for serious material.
Good Time just came up on Amazon Prime. Really looking forward to that.
Strap in. It's bleak. I respected him more than I liked the movie itself.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

tlombard wrote:
Of course it was. Dwayne Johnson just may be the greatest actor of his generation. Is there anything the guy can't do????
Grow hair?

The Third Man
It rubs the lotion on its skin.

Post by The Third Man »

Good Time is wildly intense. It would be a blast if it didn't so effectively capture the feeling of spending a night out with the wrong crowd and having everything spiral out of control in very ugly ways. I loved it, and was torn between wanting to watch it again immediately and never wanting to see it again.

Speaking of Charlie Hunnam, you know what film he's in that I never realized until I rewatched it the other week? Children of Men. (On that note, talk about a film that more and more feels like the most important film of the century so far.)

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

thrill wrote:
The Third Man wrote:We Own the Night: Honestly never gets better than its opening montage of old NYPD photographs segueing into "Heart of Glass" by Blondie, but James Gray (and Phoenix again) are talented enough to forgive how utterly secondhand the entire setup is. It feels a bit genteel for what should be a tawdry exploitation film, which I suppose may have been the point, but if so, seems self-defeating. Why is Mark Wahlberg taken seriously as an actor?
I agree about Wahlberg, especially in that movie. If that was someone who could hang with Joaquin & Duvall, like a Jason Clarke or Michael Shannon, it would have been a much better movie.

This isn't a super well hashed out thought but maybe you can follow it: I really like James Gray, but it feels like he tells small stories in a big way, visually. I don't know if that makes any sense. All of his movies have these universal themes of family, love, obsession, friendship, tragedy, etc but he never really gives you the cheap manipulation that makes you care about his characters enough for the story to really hit you as hard as it could. Maybe in The Immigrant, but not really. He just shoots so beautifully and tells the story so dispassionately. It's admirable in a way, but it's what keeps his movies from being on the level of the classics that tell similar stories. The Godfather, Goodfellas, etc. I am VERY psyched for Ad Astra and will continue to watch everything he makes, even if it's a little colder than it could be.
I think with Gray his deal is that he thinks that everyday people are heroes and deserve that scale in production. I appreciate that about him, as someone who's burned out on remakes and reboots and comic book movies and finds myself often wondering "Where the hell is John Sayles?"

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

wart57 wrote:
tlombard wrote:
Grow hair?
I wonder. I've never seen him try to grow hair... but does he really need to? Maybe I'm just biased because I can't grow hair on the top of my head and can pull off the shaved head so I don't see it as a fault.

Thankfully I can get away with a shaved head. That's the only similarity between myself and the Rock actually. Almost literally.