movies

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: movies

Post by Jocephus »

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

ghostrunner wrote:This isn’t related to Pacino even though he’s in it briefly, but it occurred to me I think about “Once upon a time in Hollywood” almost every day since I’ve seen it. Mostly just wanting to see it again. Blu-ray comes out next week. Think that might be my favorite movie since Moonlight or Fury Road. Possibly more than either of those.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

ghostrunner wrote:Saw Ford vs Ferrari today. A nice little movie, and a type that doesn’t get made and released wide theatrically much anymore. Seems like they had to manufacture most of the conflict, though they didn't try to force a typical sports movie finish as the real one was interesting enough.

Wasn’t even going to see it but I bought an issue of American Cinematographer for the first time in maybe 15 years and it got me interested. That’s a really good magazine if you have any interest in how movies are made.
As a car guy, race fan, and admirer of Shelby. This was one of my favorite movies I've ever seen. I'm willing to bet I was one of the few people in the theater who knew who Ken Miles was before the movie. Bale freaking nailed the role. Damon was good as Shelby as well.

I guess the conflict you are talking about was between Damon and the exec (forgot his name). That may have been manufactured but everything I've read was that the bean counters were always trying to interfere with the GT40 development despite Henry Ford II's directive to beat Ferrari no matter the cost. As for the Enzo vs Ford thing, Enzo Ferrari was a notorious [expletive] and I'm actually not sure they went far enough portraying him that way. Shelby while generally beloved by all was definitely a no compromise bullheaded Texan.

The race scene though, wow. I'm not sure if it was good ole fashion cinematography or lots of CGI but damn it was awesome. We sat right in the middle of the theater and sound was spot on as well. I really loved the movie. In fact I'd go see it again. I guess my conclusion is I think it's a good watch for anyone, but for car guys and race fans this may be the best movie ever made.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Nice!

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Long Shot was fun.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

IMADreamer wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:Saw Ford vs Ferrari today. A nice little movie, and a type that doesn’t get made and released wide theatrically much anymore. Seems like they had to manufacture most of the conflict, though they didn't try to force a typical sports movie finish as the real one was interesting enough.

Wasn’t even going to see it but I bought an issue of American Cinematographer for the first time in maybe 15 years and it got me interested. That’s a really good magazine if you have any interest in how movies are made.
As a car guy, race fan, and admirer of Shelby. This was one of my favorite movies I've ever seen. I'm willing to bet I was one of the few people in the theater who knew who Ken Miles was before the movie. Bale freaking nailed the role. Damon was good as Shelby as well.

I guess the conflict you are talking about was between Damon and the exec (forgot his name). That may have been manufactured but everything I've read was that the bean counters were always trying to interfere with the GT40 development despite Henry Ford II's directive to beat Ferrari no matter the cost. As for the Enzo vs Ford thing, Enzo Ferrari was a notorious [expletive] and I'm actually not sure they went far enough portraying him that way. Shelby while generally beloved by all was definitely a no compromise bullheaded Texan.

The race scene though, wow. I'm not sure if it was good ole fashion cinematography or lots of CGI but damn it was awesome. We sat right in the middle of the theater and sound was spot on as well. I really loved the movie. In fact I'd go see it again. I guess my conclusion is I think it's a good watch for anyone, but for car guys and race fans this may be the best movie ever made.
I guess Miles did race in the '65 LeMans, and in the movie he stays home and that becomes the genesis of the conflict between Shelby, Miles, and the exec - Beebe. Locking Beebe in the office didn't happen. The only real thing between them specifically seems to have been the Fords finishing together at the end which in the movie seems like him pouring salt in the wound. On it's own, you can kind of understand it. In the movie it seems more personal. I like it when there's conflict but you see where everyone is coming from, and in the movie Beebe mostly comes off as petty.

It's a movie though and it helps to generate conflict, so it is what it is.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Jocephus wrote:
Seems awfully serious and reverent.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

I'm not particularly interested in another Ghostbuster reboot that uses the physical icons of the original to drum up fake nostalgia but Paul Rudd has never been in anything under a B-, so...

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

33anda3rd wrote:I'm not particularly interested in another Ghostbuster reboot that uses the physical icons of the original to drum up fake nostalgia but Paul Rudd has never been in anything under a B-, so...
Clueless?

Also of note, Paul Rudd is 50 and looks exactly the same as he did in his mid-20s in Clueless.