movies

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by Jocephus »

Arthur Dent wrote:
Jocephus wrote:i saw religulous this afternoon. i enjoyed it...especially one religion.
Your hair is on fire!
haha...yeah, that was awesome

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

clement wrote:Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Thanks for the review! I'll have to check this out, not least because it's got Penelope and Scarlett in the same movie! That is just too much gorgeousness in one place.

Being serious for a moment though, Penelope Cruz has been one of my favorite actresses for years now. She has a way of being both beautiful and tragic in the same moment. She can steal a scene with only her eyes.

Have you seen Elegy, clement? Might as well just give the Oscars to she and Ben Kingsley now.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

Has anyone seen Appaloosa? I was thinking about going to see it tomorrow.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

clement wrote: I know there are a few West Countyers on this board. Did anyone else used to attend the Saturday morning free "kiddie" matinees at the Creve Coeur Cinema in the 1970s? In the 1980s in high school I worked at that cinema. So if you remember a little Italian guy carrying a billyclub flashlight telliing you to take your feet off the seats, there's a good chance it was me. :D
There is a very, very, very good chance that you once yelled at a young heyzeus. My grandpa lived (and still does live!) right behind there.

clement
Perennial All-Star

Post by clement »

G. Keenan wrote:
Thanks for the review! I'll have to check this out, not least because it's got Penelope and Scarlett in the same movie! That is just too much gorgeousness in one place.
Wait till you see what they do in the movie.
Have you seen Elegy, clement? Might as well just give the Oscars to she and Ben Kingsley now.
Haven't had the chance to see it yet. It's not playing here yet. I'll try to catch it eventually
heyzeus wrote:There is a very, very, very good chance that you once yelled at a young heyzeus. My grandpa lived (and still does live!) right behind there.
So does my Mom.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

clement wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
Wait till you see what they do in the movie.
Haven't had the chance to see it yet. It's not playing here yet. I'll try to catch it eventually
heyzeus wrote:There is a very, very, very good chance that you once yelled at a young heyzeus. My grandpa lived (and still does live!) right behind there.
So does my Mom.
Not in the Carriage House condominiums, by any chance? My grandpa is the president of the condo board there. He's also a swingin' bachelor. Keep your mom away!

omaha_red
Hall Of Famer

Post by omaha_red »

midnight meat train - you know.. not too bad really.. kind of a slasher/serial killer thriller
set in the subways of new york.. don't let the title fool you.. vinnie jones, leslie bibb (mmmm)
and even brooke shields are in this.. not the best cast ever.. but honestly.. if you're
in the mood for a fun horror flick.. you could do a lot worse than this.. sure it's dumb..
but i loved it..

clement
Perennial All-Star

Post by clement »

The Princess of Nebraska - Just got back from watching this lo-fi, lo-budget, lo-tech indie film from Wayne Wang. It's about a young woman from China who is living (studying?) in Omaha (shout-out to omahared and mrcrowesgarden) but heads out to San Francisco to meet some friends and deal with her problem. She's 4 months pregnant and trying to figure out what to do about it. The handsome lover in China isn't responding to her SMS so she's torn between selling the baby, aborting it, or figuring out a way to keep it. A fairly bleek film that follows the girl through her encounters with friends and new acquaintances as she tries to come to a resolution on what to do. The ending is quite unclear which path she decides to take, but it ends with her humming along to an Antony & the Johnsons song (which earns it extra points!). 7/10

omaha_red
Hall Of Famer

Post by omaha_red »

clement wrote:The Princess of Nebraska - Just got back from watching this lo-fi, lo-budget, lo-tech indie film from Wayne Wang. It's about a young woman from China who is living (studying?) in Omaha (shout-out to omahared and mrcrowesgarden) but heads out to San Francisco to meet some friends and deal with her problem. She's 4 months pregnant and trying to figure out what to do about it. The handsome lover in China isn't responding to her SMS so she's torn between selling the baby, aborting it, or figuring out a way to keep it. A fairly bleek film that follows the girl through her encounters with friends and new acquaintances as she tries to come to a resolution on what to do. The ending is quite unclear which path she decides to take, but it ends with her humming along to an Antony & the Johnsons song (which earns it extra points!). 7/10

hmmm.. i might have to check this one out

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

I'm probably going to make a bunch of people angry, but...

-Carrie
I caught Carrie earlier this week. And I hated it. Couldn't stand it. I just don't like Brian DePalma, and I've tried.

I also caught a really fun indie horror from Australia called Undead. It's part gore, part comedy, part action movie with John Woo-style stuff going on. It sort of has "cult hit" written all over it.