movies

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Re: movies

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

The Nice Guys is streaming on HBO. I'd forgotten how much I love that movie.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
April 4 20, 10:28 am
The Nice Guys is streaming on HBO. I'd forgotten how much I love that movie.
That Ryan Gosling is a dreamboat

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

I know this movie has been mentioned in this thread before, but I'm adding my endorsement for "Yesterday". Very cool concept, and while the accents can be a bit hard to understand at times, it was still very good.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Watched The Platform on netflix...pretty good once you get past the dubbing. Kinda reminded me of Snowpiercer except in a tower.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Finally got around to watching Uncut Gems last night. Good movie. Slightly disturbing.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Watched "A Simple Favor" the other night. It was a good blend of comedy, thriller, action, mystery. To me, Anna Kendrick is her generation's Sandra Bullock. Blake Lively is equal parts crazy and attractive. I felt the movie was slightly better than average (6.5 out of 10), though there were a couple parts that were real big plot holes:
[SHOW]
1. How was Kendrick talking to the widower from her front door, after she had sold her house and moved in with said widower?

2. How does Lively's character not hear the hybrid driving towards her? Come on; they're not that quiet. And why even walk out into the middle of the street in the first place? You've been able to keep up a false identity for a decade, but you're not smart enough to stay out of the middle of the road?

3. How does the hybrid driver even get there? Wasn't he busy getting "swatted" just a few minutes prior? And when he was bust in upon, he wasn't watching the live feed. He was busy getting high! How did he know what was going down?

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

mikechamp wrote:
April 13 20, 11:37 am
Watched "A Simple Favor" the other night. It was a good blend of comedy, thriller, action, mystery. To me, Anna Kendrick is her generation's Sandra Bullock. Blake Lively is equal parts crazy and attractive. I felt the movie was slightly better than average (6.5 out of 10), though there were a couple parts that were real big plot holes:
[SHOW]
1. How was Kendrick talking to the widower from her front door, after she had sold her house and moved in with said widower?

2. How does Lively's character not hear the hybrid driving towards her? Come on; they're not that quiet. And why even walk out into the middle of the street in the first place? You've been able to keep up a false identity for a decade, but you're not smart enough to stay out of the middle of the road?

3. How does the hybrid driver even get there? Wasn't he busy getting "swatted" just a few minutes prior? And when he was bust in upon, he wasn't watching the live feed. He was busy getting high! How did he know what was going down?
I would call these more aesthetic inconsistencies than actual holes in the plot.
[SHOW]
1. I don't recall it being explicitly stated that she sold the house. Even if it has, that conversation could happen basically anywhere and have the same effect so it's at worst a continuity goof.

2/3. As the Office taught us, the Prius is dangerously silent. More seriously, it doesn't really matter, the Cops are right behind the guy, she isn't going to get away and her getting hit by the car doesn't serve any particular purpose other than the funny banter as she continues to try to escape after getting trucked by a sedan. As far as the Prius-driving dad being there, we know about the SWATting from Blake Lively's telling of the story. Since we find out later that everyone else is working with the cops already, we can assume that 1) the SWATting imagined in that 5 second clip never actually happened, or 2) it got sorted out by the law enforcement that were in on it very quickly, and after that experience he checked out the stream and zoomed over(we know from the funeral scene he subscribes to her channel).

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
April 13 20, 1:18 pm
mikechamp wrote:
April 13 20, 11:37 am
[SHOW]

I would call these more aesthetic inconsistencies than actual holes in the plot.
[SHOW]
1. I don't recall it being explicitly stated that she sold the house. Even if it has, that conversation could happen basically anywhere and have the same effect so it's at worst a continuity goof.

2/3. As the Office taught us, the Prius is dangerously silent. More seriously, it doesn't really matter, the Cops are right behind the guy, she isn't going to get away and her getting hit by the car doesn't serve any particular purpose other than the funny banter as she continues to try to escape after getting trucked by a sedan. As far as the Prius-driving dad being there, we know about the SWATting from Blake Lively's telling of the story. Since we find out later that everyone else is working with the cops already, we can assume that 1) the SWATting imagined in that 5 second clip never actually happened, or 2) it got sorted out by the law enforcement that were in on it very quickly, and after that experience he checked out the stream and zoomed over(we know from the funeral scene he subscribes to her channel).
[SHOW]
My wife brought up the "she didn't sell the house" angle, and while it didn't show that, it did show her listing it and moving her stuff into the widower's house. I'm not sure what else they want us to believe, but yes, the conversation could/should have taken place somewhere else.

Good point on the swatting not happening. And I guess it was for comedic sake, but it's highly unlikely he's driving his Prius over to the scene of a crime faster than the cops could get there.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I finally watched The Witch (it's on Netflix currently). I enjoyed it overall. Thought the end was good. It was odd in parts and slow in parts. I don't think I liked it as much as Michael did way back when.

My wife and kids hated it. LOL