movies

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
go birds
-go birds

Re: movies

Post by go birds »

Jocephus wrote:thing is, there's really not a canon origin story. one of the mystique's to joker is that he doesn't have one
ahh not sure i knew that.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

the wikipedia for the movie has some insights. they say that this is gonna be a standalone film, not part of the whole "justice league extended universe" story that they're...attempting. i guess DC wants to have some of these darker, one off, "experimental" stories that are just there on their own.

also this
Robert De Niro as Murray Franklin:[9]
A talk show host who plays a role in Arthur's downfall.[10] De Niro said his role in Joker is a homage to his role in The King of Comedy (1982), in which he portrayed a comedian obsessed with a talk show host
the failed comedian aspect would be pulling from alan moore's "the killing joke" but that story also has a lot to do with commissioner jim gordon

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

There's a King of Comedy angle?

Wow, maybe De Niro will do something good again.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

MAGA wrote:There's a King of Comedy angle?

Wow, maybe De Niro will do something good again.
Perhaps the Joker will Make DeNiro Great Again

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Shazam was fun

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I think DeNiro's a working actor who just happens to have once been a big deal. He probably doesn't care to audition at his age, takes what he's offered, and does a good job at whatever he takes. I can't think of any movie where he's made it worse, and I've avoided the stuff that looks awful. I read an interview with Christopher Walken years ago and he just straight up said unless he's busy he takes whatever he's offered. I imagine that approach also makes more sense the older you get.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

we should do a cult-actor thunderdome....though im not sure there's 64 actors of that sort that could fill out an entire bracket.

walken
cage
bruce campbell
terry crews

...all immediately come to mind

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

ghostrunner wrote:I think DeNiro's a working actor who just happens to have once been a big deal. He probably doesn't care to audition at his age, takes what he's offered, and does a good job at whatever he takes. I can't think of any movie where he's made it worse, and I've avoided the stuff that looks awful. I read an interview with Christopher Walken years ago and he just straight up said unless he's busy he takes whatever he's offered. I imagine that approach also makes more sense the older you get.
That comedian movie he starred in a couple years ago was really bad. I mean, he was ok as an actor, but the whole movie was a cringe-fest, not at all in a good way.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

go birds wrote:we should do a cult-actor thunderdome....though im not sure there's 64 actors of that sort that could fill out an entire bracket.

walken
cage
bruce campbell
terry crews

...all immediately come to mind
If there were a bracket like that, M Emmet Walsh would be a tough out. Blood Simple, Slap Shot, Fletch, Back To School, Raising Arizona, Blade Runner, The Jerk, Mikey and Nicky.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

cult actor or character actor?

jeffrey combs
brad dourif
jk simmons
james cromwell
william fichtner
stephen root
keith david