movies

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
The Third Man
It rubs the lotion on its skin.

Re: movies

Post by The Third Man »

Few pages (and weeks) late, but The Night of the Hunter is incredible. Maybe the best debut feature ever, maybe the best one-off ever, maybe the best film of the 1950s...etc. Its overt artificiality really lends to its qualities as a timeless fable, with Mitchum less human than monster of legend. And yet he's as often portrayed as an incompetent buffoon, who only nearly succeeds because his opponents are children. Mitchum really sells both the malevolence and the ridiculousness by blurring the line between the two. The production design and cinematography both perfectly sell the storybook quality of the telling. I've always enjoyed that it was written by James Agee, whose love of The Curse of the Cat People makes perfect sense given that film's influence on this one. Side note: I was a dorky outcast in high school and I probably worried a few classmates when I Sharpie'd Mitchum's "LOVE" and "HATE" tattoos onto my own fingers.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Arthur Dent wrote:
Michael wrote:
Swirls wrote:I watched Behind The Curve on Netflix, a documentary on the Flat Earth Society and the fact that there are apparently millions of people who still believe this crap.
This is a really underrated doc. It focuses on flat eathers, but it's really about why people believe in conspiracies in the first place. The parallels with other more mainstream conspiracy mongers and their belivers is on point. The directors did a pretty good ama here.

Also, the final scene in this doc is amazing. It broke my brain.
Late to the party, but this is fantastic. Fittingly, some of the stuff captured is just so perfect that I found myself thinking it must be some kind of Waiting for Guffman deal, you know part of the conspiracy to throw me off.

The characters are so great, and the whole thing is wonderfully not judgmental while also hilariously so. Mark Seargeant seems all but self-aware he’s doing this because he just finds the experience appealing.
Yep. I love the failed experiments. "Well, those results are problematic."

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Arthur Dent wrote:Mark Seargeant seems all but self-aware he’s doing this because he just finds the experience appealing.
Watching him get friend zoned is one of the funniest low key things I've ever seen. His mom is fantastic as well.

Victor60
Single A Minor League Player

Post by Victor60 »

cardinalkarp wrote:Just a few movies that I've watch the past few weeks. Anyone have any good ones they've rented recently?

Iron Man - Normally not really a big fan of comic bookSimulation de rachat de crédit movies but I thought this one was really well done and really enjoyed the movie. Looks like a pretty good sequal is on its way at some point.

Deception - Not a bad movie but then nothing really great either. Your typical thriller that has a couple plot twists that can be predicted fairly easily. Still not a bad movie and plenty of nice looking half naked women :P

An American Crime - The star of Juno goes from that movie to playing a really great role in something totally different. Based on a true story that ends up being very disturbing. Pretty darn good movie but pretty damn sad as well.

Charlie Bartlett - Again, not a great movie by any means but fairly entertaining. The kid in the movie will probably be getting more roles in bigger movies as he seems to be a pretty good actor.

hello, pretty much agree with you, but I liked the movie

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Thanks for the recommendations for Beyond the Curve. I was interested but scared of it. There's a lot of ways to tell that story wrong. I wouldn't have been comfortable if the main subject was the ahole hammering ping pong balls for instance, who will Google himself five times before I'm finished writing this. And they made important points about empathy that I think balanced with the absurdity and ignorance well enough.

It was a really good doc that intelligently and empathetically shed light on the odd times we live in and also just being human and lonely and searching.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Now that Jake Gyllenhaal is in Spiderman 10, Marvel must be officially out of actors. I took a drama class in high school, how long until they call?

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:Now that Jake Gyllenhaal is in Spiderman 10, Marvel must be officially out of actors. I took a drama class in high school, how long until they call?
Interesting, I've always thought Gyllenhaal was a good actor.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:Now that Jake Gyllenhaal is in Spiderman 10, Marvel must be officially out of actors. I took a drama class in high school, how long until they call?
Since Tom Holland was 6 when the first Tobey Maguire film came out...I suppose they have created some sort of Marvel academy of actors and will never have to hire from outside their organization again.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Michael wrote:
Arthur Dent wrote:Mark Seargeant seems all but self-aware he’s doing this because he just finds the experience appealing.
Watching him get friend zoned is one of the funniest low key things I've ever seen. His mom is fantastic as well.
Patricia is self-aware too, in it to be $ niche rockstar. Her mocking the Houston space museum was funny (actually deserved) i.e. "look the spacesuit is in disrepair. !"

Mark Seargant reminded me of a Bill Murray character.

Good doc. Small critique -the danger of this group is overplayed. I sense for the vast majority it is just a harmless lark ...trying to find a comparison that works ....maybe like believing in Bigfoot like I do.

Yeah anti-science and conspiracy cults are an issue now, but the film really didn't support that theme enough with these characters to toss it in there.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

"Yesterday " is an enjoyable flick. I suspect it will be popular as heck with the lack of feel-good type movies with broad appeal.

Also, first time to the Hi Pointe, -it is looking good.