GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 20 19, 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11071 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1104, 1105, 1106, 1107, 1108  Next
 Post subject: Re: movies
PostPosted: August 3 19, 5:29 pm 
99% conan clips

Ronda rousey is legitimately one of the worst actresses ever

PostPosted: August 3 19, 7:08 pm 
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Jocephus wrote:

She's in a movie?

PostPosted: August 3 19, 7:11 pm 
99% conan clips

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
Jocephus wrote:

She's in a movie?

i was watching furious 7 on cable and...gosh...difficult

PostPosted: August 6 19, 6:02 am 
Replies Authoritatively

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood is just ok. Sets, costumes, photography, sound, performances all great. Saw it in 70mm, as a thing to look at it was fantastic. But it's just kind of...a nostalgic paean to an era and place the filmmaker didn't live through/in. So it's a bunch of movie references on movie references on movie references. A bit frenetic at time for a Tarantino, lacking those great long scenes of dialogue that are his hallmark. Also Lena Dunham is in it for some reason. The [expletive] is up with that?

PostPosted: August 6 19, 7:27 am 
bronoun enthusiast

In another life, Lena Dunham would have totally been a manson girl.

I walked out of that movie a little confused by how I felt. For some reason the fantasy revisionist history didn't play as well with a such a personal story like Sharon Tate's murder as it did with WW2. I think I loved the movie as something to watch to pass a couple hours watching fun performances, but it's certainly a tad too self indulgent, which is always a fine line with Tarantino.

PostPosted: August 6 19, 7:28 am 
99% conan clips

how violent (you can define violent) is the movie? my mother has interest in it but doesn't typically like quentins penchant for aggressive scenes, etc

PostPosted: August 6 19, 7:36 am 
bronoun enthusiast

Jocephus wrote:
how violent (you can define violent) is the movie? my mother has interest in it but doesn't typically like quentins penchant for aggressive scenes, etc

It's not violent until the end when it becomes incredibly brutal. It might be shocking for her to watch Brad Pitt cave in a young woman's skull on a hard surface.

PostPosted: August 6 19, 7:45 am 
Replies Authoritatively

thrill wrote:
Jocephus wrote:

It's not violent until the end when it becomes incredibly brutal. It might be shocking for her to watch Brad Pitt cave in a young woman's skull on a hard surface.

Yeah, it's probably the least violent Tarantino movie outside Jackie Brown, which IIRC has some death-by-gun but some pretty routine stuff nowadays. But the one violent scene is pretty brutal, my wife didn't care much for it.

PostPosted: August 6 19, 8:14 am 
99% conan clips

33anda3rd wrote:
thrill wrote:
Jocephus wrote:

Yeah, it's probably the least violent Tarantino movie outside Jackie Brown, which IIRC has some death-by-gun but some pretty routine stuff nowadays. But the one violent scene is pretty brutal, my wife didn't care much for it.

good to know, thanks fellas

PostPosted: August 6 19, 8:29 am 
Replies Authoritatively

...though in relation to his last movie, which I deplored and which I thought did a great job of finding excuses to use Jennifer Jason Leigh as a punching bag for macho dudes and didn't do a good enough job paying off the end or empowering her character enough to justify that, this was a fairly non-violent laid back enjoyable movie to watch for a few hours.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11071 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1104, 1105, 1106, 1107, 1108  Next