The Video Game Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by IMADreamer »

I'm hoping for something ground breaking in Forza Motorsports but I feel like T10 as lost the plot on that game. So I expect more of the same. Other then that I'm not sure what I want out of E3. Would love to see another Witcher game or a really good RPG.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I've been without my XBox for a few months now since the last one broke and I was debating what to do about it this weekend and I ended up ordering Tiger Woods for my old PS2 that still works after well over a decade. It was $5, will be delivered today and when I get it, I can just pop the game in and start playing. I won't have to download any updates or any of that mess. I miss the days when you could get a system game and just play immediately without constantly downloading new updates.

The other decision I've come to is that I might also buy a Nintendo Switch here any day now. I've heard good things about it and just need to check out the games available. For me, I don't even need fancy super awesome games. 99% of my gaming on my XBox was Civilization Revolutions that's been out since like 2010. Give me a golf game and then something like that and I'm happy. Well, happy at least until the next Grand Theft Auto comes out. I will immediately run out and buy a new console the day that is released. I did exactly that with the last installment. That was when I decided I absolutely needed an XBox 360.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

tlombard wrote:I miss the days when you could get a system game and just play immediately without constantly downloading new updates.
absolutely. a lot of the charm has disappeared with technology.

The other decision I've come to is that I might also buy a Nintendo Switch here any day now. I've heard good things about it and just need to check out the games available. For me, I don't even need fancy super awesome games. 99% of my gaming on my XBox was Civilization Revolutions that's been out since like 2010. Give me a golf game and then something like that and I'm happy. Well, happy at least until the next Grand Theft Auto comes out. I will immediately run out and buy a new console the day that is released. I did exactly that with the last installment. That was when I decided I absolutely needed an XBox 360.
the switch definitely looks really cool and fun and i miss playing nintendo licensed games but its hard for me to justify more than 1 console (xbox). i wish i could though, hah.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I just decided while waiting in line to grab lunch that I'm going to pick up a Switch after work tonight. Then I got back to my desk to eat and realized that I'm not actually going to pick one up tonight because I can't. Every store within a distance that I'm willing to travel is out of stock in the area from what I can find online. I'll just stick to Tiger Woods for a bit.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

tlombard wrote:I just decided while waiting in line to grab lunch that I'm going to pick up a Switch after work tonight. Then I got back to my desk to eat and realized that I'm not actually going to pick one up tonight because I can't. Every store within a distance that I'm willing to travel is out of stock in the area from what I can find online. I'll just stick to Tiger Woods for a bit.
thats the other problem...i have a friend with kids so his urgency is more than mine and he just cannot find one and/or is not aware enough when they do become available for like, 20 mins. same with the mini nes and super nes. super nes preorders sold out in like an hour earlier this week (also opened up predorders at like 4am for some reason)

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Because of this availability problem, I think I might just pick up a PS3 tonight from GameStop near me. They have used ones for $130. I'm not ready for the current generation and even though I could turn around and download XBox games that I previously owned, I'm not buying another one of those.

How is the PS3 with needing updates all the time? Could I pick up GTA V and another game or two with a console and start playing as soon as I plug it in? I really want something that I can just pop a disk in and start playing.

Another factor is that I don't have Internet at home currently. I thought I could switch to AT&T U-Verse with decent speeds when I got ticked off at my Charter bill and cancelled but apparently that isn't the case. I swear UVerse was available a couple of years ago for my building but now they say it isn't and try to push me to their crappy slow Internet and Direct TV. I haven't sucked it up and crawled back to Charter with my tail between my legs so that I can get Internet again. If the updates aren't frequent or super necessary, I can just tether my phone from time to time since I've got unlimited data with tethering included but I just don't feel like messing with any of that. I just want to play simple games without any fuss.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

tlombard:

Here's a Sega Genesis available on eBay ($60 and includes 16 games) for the next 10 minutes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEGA-Genesis-Co ... SwpoxZlI8W

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

mikechamp wrote:tlombard:

Here's a Sega Genesis available on eBay ($60 and includes 16 games) for the next 10 minutes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEGA-Genesis-Co ... SwpoxZlI8W
Sweet!!! But I really want something immediately. I have no patience for waiting. I'll be on to something else by tomorrow. I really do have a short attention span when it comes to video games. 99% of the time I could care less but when I want something, I want it right now.

I still have Tiger Woods 2009 showing up today so I'll just play that tonight and eventually buy a Switch when they are available around here again. Maybe I'll even actually order one and wait but probably not.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

That Sega was also in Mass. I could have seen if one of my coworkers could have just swung by and brought it back to me on Friday since there is always somebody I know in our offices in Boston. I know my old boss is there this week for sure and every time I've been there I can't walk out of a room or in or out of the hotel without seeing somebody I know from the offices here in St. Louis.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Just trying to help, man.