The Video Game Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Michael
GRB Founder

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Michael »

Swirls wrote:I basically need to get a PS4, right? I'm assuming it will play Blu-Rays fine? Are PS3 games cross-compatible?
The PS4 plays blu-rays. The Xbox One S plays 4K blu-rays, so if your game machine is going to get a lot of use as a physical movie player that might be a better choice.

PS3 games are not cross-compatible with the PS4. XB1S has 360 backwards compatibility with a lot of their games.

Current gen systems are getting so cheap personally I wouldn't consider getting a PS3 or 360. I'd just monitor slickdeals to find something.

Not sure about your bandwidth question.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

themiddle54 wrote: NBA2K18 is losing some steam for me. The immersive nature of it is cool, but there's just too much to do. To do the MyPlayer you have a long load time. Then you're in the Neighborhood. If you don't hit the gym and run on the treadmill or otherwise exercise you're not at 100% for the next game. If you go to the practice gym you can only do three drills to boost your badges/skill. Then when you play the game as a rookie you get maybe 90 seconds playing time, tops. If you go to the Playground and you haven't given PS another $50-100 to buy VC to upgrade your player, then you stink and no one will play with you, or if you do get a game your player is not good enough to make even the most lightly contested layup. Every step takes long load times and you can be on the MyPlayer thing for an hour and spend maybe 12 minutes tops playing actual basketball, the other 48 either just shooting alone or waiting for the thing to load. It takes like 45 seconds just to leave the gym while the screen goes gray and the little ball in the corner counts up to 100%. All the stuff you have to do makes it a lot like GTA San Andreas where you had to eat, get haircuts, work out--it's like, just let me go kill some people.
i've read microtransactions have "killed" that 2k18 game. the game is well made but its all about spending more real life money. unfortunate.
Swirls wrote:So my old PS3 is basically on the fritz now. I've had it since 2009, but don't use it for much anymore except streaming MLB.tv and watching DVDs/Blu-Rays. I'll occasionally play a video game, but I haven't actually bought any in several years.

I basically need to get a PS4, right? I'm assuming it will play Blu-Rays fine? Are PS3 games cross-compatible?

I'm half considering just getting a used PS3 from GameStop, but I've found this year the streaming quality on MLB.tv has been pretty bad, so it seems it's just getting slower and slower and more outdated. I know it's not my bandwidth, as I get 150 Mbit internet.

Are PS4's able to read 5GHz bandwidth, or are they only 2.4GHz like the PS3?
the basic ps4 looks to be at 2.4
http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/ ... ware_Specs

i agree with michael, its probably worth upgrading to the current gen, unless you really want to keep playing those ps3 games. then it becomes the debate of what you are looking for. the basic consoles, ps4 is probably better than the xbox one. ps4 pro is probably better than xbox S. i do think, however, that the new Xbox X will be better than the ps4 pro.

xbox doesn't have a lot of great exclusives but they are doing a much better job of backwards compatibility, including 360 and original xbox games now. xbox took a lot of crap with their initial current gen reveal 2-3 years back and rightfully so but they've definitely improved on things even if they're lacking in other areas.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

If it weren't for Bethesda and Rockstar, I'm not sure I'd have a console.

Speaking of which, the new Red Dead 2 Trailer is out

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Rockstar is the reason I bought a 360. I probably won't buy another console (other than the Switch I just got) until the next GTA game comes out. Red Dead 2 does look interesting but I'll still probably wait for another GTA.

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

tlombard wrote:Rockstar is the reason I bought a 360. I probably won't buy another console (other than the Switch I just got) until the next GTA game comes out. Red Dead 2 does look interesting but I'll still probably wait for another GTA.
Did you play Red Dead 1?

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

RDR is backwards compatible too on xbox 1 if you have still have the disc or buy the digital copy

just checked and amazon has 360 copies for like 21 bucks, with DLCs

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

It's also on the PS Now thing, if you want to pony up the $20/month to play it. Because you'll be so immersed in it you won't leave your house for two months, more than making up for the $40 in PS Now fees.

My Rockstar rankings would be:
Vice City
RDR
GTA V
San Andreas

RDR is so good. I love that you can be a murderous SOB but choose to be a mostly good murderous SOB and help people instead of gunning everyone down. Also I had genuine emotions when my first horse died. I [expletive] loved that horse.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i think RDR would be my number 1 rockstar title. gta 4 was alright but gta 5 blows it out of water. i played san andreas but most of those original PC gta's i didn't really play. bully was another good title even if it seems random in their library at this point.

i would just get lost in that RDR world when it first came out. plus it had good multiplayer early on. and that zombie dlc they made was great too.

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

Vice City was the first with the immersive go-anywhere environment and it will always have my heart as far as Rockstar games.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

XBox One won't play from a disc. Has to download then play. Sucks.

Going to get a PS4 because of that.