The Video Game Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Swirls
gone fission

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Swirls »

themiddle54 wrote:Vice City was the first with the immersive go-anywhere environment and it will always have my heart as far as Rockstar games.
I thought it was GTA III that was the first truly immersive go-anywhere? I remember it was the one where you had to drive around until you found a hooker to bang in order to restore your health.

Vice City was awesome though - I absolutely loved playing that game in college on PC.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:XBox One won't play from a disc. Has to download then play. Sucks.

Going to get a PS4 because of that.
Not sure which game you're referring to but in my experience PS4 installs are the same as XB1.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

cuphead has been very enjoyable so far. i've completed the first isle (7 levels) and some were more challenging than others but its one of those things where you wanna keep playing after you die. definitely feels like a mega man or classic (left to right) mario. beautiful designs, great music, fun.

and speaking of difficult/challenging games...this past month, knowing cuphead would be out soon, i forced myself to start and finish alien:isolation (which i'd had for about a year). the game is good but the last few levels get real cheap and its a lot of backtracking which seems lazy, just trying to get you to interact with the alien, etc. didn't care for that...but..the game looks amazing, if you like the series you will fall in love with the design of this space station, etc. that retro futurism (from the 70s) is on full display. its absolutely a stealth game and you will die...a lot. if you can accept that, like the franchise,etc you will probably like but it is hard. i ended up having to switch difficulty to novice but this was also because i was trying to get thru the game quick to start cuphead (i don't like having multiple games in progress, etc).

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

How have I never heard of Unfair Mario before? I just found out about it from a Teens React video where they played it. That is freaking hilarious. Whoever created that is an evil genius.

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

My NBA 2K18 disappointment grows. That Neighborhood thing is just a theme park for shoe ads. They make you go sit at your locker before every game so you have the chance to change shoes. A cut scene has Porzingis literally tell you that you can be homies if you sign with Adidas, then when your character asks if you can be homies if you decide not to sign with Adidas, Porzingis flatly says no.

Then, hilariously and without a hint of irony, I'm playing a game today and the broadcaster in the canned in-game small talk brings up the ads on jerseys this year and ex-player Steve Smith says that he's against that kind of advertising and that it ruins the game.

Felix The Cat
Perennial All-Star

Post by Felix The Cat »

tlombard wrote:How have I never heard of Unfair Mario before? I just found out about it from a Teens React video where they played it. That is freaking hilarious. Whoever created that is an evil genius.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Felix The Cat wrote:
tlombard wrote:How have I never heard of Unfair Mario before? I just found out about it from a Teens React video where they played it. That is freaking hilarious. Whoever created that is an evil genius.
I would never get past the first level of that. I would have eventually figured out and remembered everything from Unfair Mario's first level but this... nope. I wouldn't have figured any of it out on my own much less been able to execute things with the precision it took to complete just the first level.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I have been hearing about Stardew Valley on the Switch for awhile now and people seem obsessed with it so I gave in last night and bought it. I've only played it about half an hour now since it was still downloading when I went to sleep and I really don't even have much of an idea what the entire point of the game is. But that half an hour this morning did go really quick and I have a feeling that I'll be spending a lot of time playing it and I can't even explain why. I haven't even done anything and the graphics aren't even good... yet I still am looking forward to getting back to it after work.

I guess at some point I'm supposed to farm and fix up my farm in general as well as meeting and maybe marrying one of the other characters but to this point I've just been running around clearing all of the debris around my cabin because the clutter annoys me. I really have no idea what I'm even doing or supposed to be doing!

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I was obsessed with Stardew Valley for like 8-10 hours then I ran in to a game breaking bug so I stopped. I read it was patched so I might try it again.

Stardew Valley is a super chill game. I wouldn't worry too much about doing something the "right way". There's lots to do, but you can go at your own pace.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

The longer the day goes on, the more obsessed I am to get out of work so I can get some time in on it. Three more hours or so to go. I've decided to listen to videos with tips and tricks or things not to do while I work. It's more background so I don't pick up a whole lot but at least it's something.