The Video Game Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Some of the actual gameplay videos of what it looks like now are enough to get me interested in it.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

tlombard wrote:
Swirls wrote:
tlombard wrote:People are talking next gen consoles and here I am anxiously waiting to play my NES Classic that was delivered Sunday. Whoever decided that the cable for the controller only needed to be two feet long should be shot. I haven't been able to play it yet because I don't want to have to sit that close to the TV. I ordered a 10 foot extension for the controller but now I have to wait until next week for that to be delivered.
I admit I'm deeply enjoying my SNES Classic. I can't even remember how many hours I wasted as a kid at at my friends houses playing games like Super Mario World. I only ever owned a Sega Genesis, so I'm screwed if a "Sega Genesis Classic" exists in the same vein as the NES/SNES Classic (HDMI inputs, built in quicksave feature, small form factor, etc).
The extension cable is out for delivery today so I know what I'll be doing tonight!
I hope you're enjoying it. I got an NES and SNES classic and have been loving the crap out of them. Sold all my old nintendo consoles and games. Its crazy what some people will pay for a working original pokemon gameboy game. All those old systems take up lots of space, and I figure now is when they are at their most nostalgic/popular. Younger kids grew up with game cubes and xboxes and PS2s or whatnot and won't care about an NES, SNES or N64 like late 30 and early 40 folks do now.

... Plus I sw your post about getting a machine just to play civilization. I think we're like, the same person. Civ 4 was the only game I checked specs on when I bought my current laptop a few years ago. How is Civ 5? is it awesome enough to upgrade to a better laptop in a few years?

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

JCShutout wrote:
tlombard wrote:
Swirls wrote:
tlombard wrote:People are talking next gen consoles and here I am anxiously waiting to play my NES Classic that was delivered Sunday. Whoever decided that the cable for the controller only needed to be two feet long should be shot. I haven't been able to play it yet because I don't want to have to sit that close to the TV. I ordered a 10 foot extension for the controller but now I have to wait until next week for that to be delivered.
I admit I'm deeply enjoying my SNES Classic. I can't even remember how many hours I wasted as a kid at at my friends houses playing games like Super Mario World. I only ever owned a Sega Genesis, so I'm screwed if a "Sega Genesis Classic" exists in the same vein as the NES/SNES Classic (HDMI inputs, built in quicksave feature, small form factor, etc).
The extension cable is out for delivery today so I know what I'll be doing tonight!
I hope you're enjoying it. I got an NES and SNES classic and have been loving the crap out of them. Sold all my old nintendo consoles and games. Its crazy what some people will pay for a working original pokemon gameboy game. All those old systems take up lots of space, and I figure now is when they are at their most nostalgic/popular. Younger kids grew up with game cubes and xboxes and PS2s or whatnot and won't care about an NES, SNES or N64 like late 30 and early 40 folks do now.

... Plus I sw your post about getting a machine just to play civilization. I think we're like, the same person. Civ 4 was the only game I checked specs on when I bought my current laptop a few years ago. How is Civ 5? is it awesome enough to upgrade to a better laptop in a few years?
I actually never played Civ 4 but I really like Civ 5. Heck, I still play a ton of Civilization Revolution 2 on my phone to get a quick fix. I find myself playing that on my phone than Civ 5 on the tablet just because I can play on my phone wherever I'm at so easily and get through a game quicker. Civ Revolutions also doesn't require as much attention as the full games so I was playing that on my phone all through the Cards game last night. My OCD still tells me that I have to win via all four win conditions with every single leader in every single difficulty. I'm going in order and working through the King level on my phone now. Before my last XBox broke I was just ready to start on the Diety level (the final one) but then it crapped out so I had to start over on the phone.

With the tablet I really need the mouse. It does have touch controls but I still haven't quite mastered those and don't like to use them as much because I tend to accidentally move a unit somewhere I don't want them when I meant to just swipe somewhere else on the map and stuff like that. I need to work on that.

As for the NES Classic, I did put in some time with Excitebike and Super Mario Brothers over the weekend. I am determined to finally beat SMB one of these days but it hasn't happened yet.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Mega Man 9 is a nice find on Game Pass.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Jocephus wrote:

Good Lord that looks good. Makes me want to get a 4k TV and Xbox One X.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Hell yes. MVP Baseball 2005 is the best sports video game.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

yes yes yes

though EA is awful and it will be filled with microtransactions

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

An Oral History of ‘GoldenEye 007’ on the N64

https://melmagazine.com/an-oral-history ... 9844f1c5ab

Edmonds: It’s definitely cheating to play as Oddjob! But that can just add to the fun when you’re all sitting there next to each other and berating/poking/hitting the person who chooses him. Personally I like to pick Jaws [who originally appeared in 1977’s The Spy Who Loved Me] and then beat the person with Oddjob just to show them! We could have put something in to stop this blatant cheating, but why not just let players decide on their own rules?