The Video Game Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
tlombard
tl;dr

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by tlombard »

I have no desire to play anything other than single player campaigns these days. I don't have the patience or skill to grind away to get better stats/stuff and I refuse to pay my way to dominance so I would just get destroyed and it wouldn't be any fun. I really dislike the current emphasis on online play. I don't have friends that play games and random strangers online are the worst. I want to forget they even exist, not be coerced into getting my butt beat by them constantly so they can make fun of me.

The last time I tried playing online was Modern Warfare and I just got smoked over and over. The only way I lasted more than five minutes was if I was able to find a hiding place immediately and stayed put.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i wasn't going to buy either game before this stuff too but it really makes me question how much longer i'll be playing in general. i bought RE7 new this year, bought cuphead (but it was $20) but that may have been it as far as new releases. in most cases i don't mind waiting for a price reduction. and actually i think the 2 wolfensteins that came out a few years ago are bundled now for about $20 so i may get that instead of the new one, even though it does look fun too.

i like the star wars universe and there's a streamer i like who is playing it at the moment (sandy ravage) so it is fun to watch because it is a gorgeous game with decent gameplay (and the streamer is good/fun so that helps), etc but yeah, i can't financially support decisions like this.

there must be a cap on how many credits you can earn in certain modes too. another streamer, boogie2988, finished some arcade mode last night and when the "rewards" screen popped up it said "you can earn more credits in 3 hours". here's a clip:
https://clips.twitch.tv/AdorableTenderCrowLitFam

NFS is not a series i would even know anything about but Youtuber Angry Joe did a 20 min thing on the state of this new game. joe has been vocal in the past in his reviews about the dangers/wariness of loot crates, microtransactions, etc. this isn't even one of his formal reviews, he was going to play the game and it ended up just sucking. and one point he made is how you don't even build your car, etc. you just apply cards with stat bonuses to it. he's a car fan and would want to spend time in the virtual garage building his car but nope, you just play for these cards and if you don't like what you earn thru the game then hey you can spend real money to increase your chances. so gross.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

We're a dying breed of gamer that companies don't want to cater to for obvious reasons: People who buy single player content well after the initial release date for a reduced price (Mario is an exception for me).

I just hope RDR2 isn't a loot box mess.
Last edited by Michael on November 16 17, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Michael wrote:
I just hope RDR2 isn't a loot box mess.
will be very interested to see how rockstar handles it. as much as i loved gta 5, they did not do *any* single player DLC. they focused all their post game release energy on the online component. and while the content was free, it's all about buying those shark card microtransactions. they've made hundreds of millions of dollars from shark cards. the grind for xp and $ for gta online isn't terrible but you gotta put your time in if you really want to experience things...or buy shark cards. i assume i'll be disappointed with how rdr2 proceeds.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

even fortune wrote an article about it
With Star Wars Battlefront II, Disney and EA May Have a Gambling Problem
http://fortune.com/2017/11/15/star-wars ... d=sr-link1

3 DICE devs did an AMA on reddit on wednesday...it didn't go well. well, in the sense that some of the answers were vague and really didn't dispel any of the loot crate concerns...it was essentially "we'll constantly be monitoring things", etc. obviously reddit, or anywhere online really, isn't the best place to have a constructive Q&A but i'm glad at the push back. i still think the game will do well and people will buy those crates all too easy. (see what i did there?)

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

EA has temporarily suspended the microtransactions from SW:BF2. they used "later date" as their term so they have no intent on removing them but i do wonder how/if they will be adjusted.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

EA submitted some report to the SEC saying how even though they've turned off microtransactions in SWBF2 (temporarily) they don't see it impacting 2018 numbers...

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data ... 171117.htm

so obviously they have no intent of truly tweaking their business model....am i right to assume that michael? can you decipher that any more? you're a whiz biz kid

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I have no idea. I would assume the worst. Its EA afterall.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Jocephus wrote:i wasn't going to buy either game before this stuff too but it really makes me question how much longer i'll be playing in general. i bought RE7 new this year, bought cuphead (but it was $20) but that may have been it as far as new releases. in most cases i don't mind waiting for a price reduction. and actually i think the 2 wolfensteins that came out a few years ago are bundled now for about $20 so i may get that instead of the new one, even though it does look fun too.

i like the star wars universe and there's a streamer i like who is playing it at the moment (sandy ravage) so it is fun to watch because it is a gorgeous game with decent gameplay (and the streamer is good/fun so that helps), etc but yeah, i can't financially support decisions like this.

there must be a cap on how many credits you can earn in certain modes too. another streamer, boogie2988, finished some arcade mode last night and when the "rewards" screen popped up it said "you can earn more credits in 3 hours". here's a clip:
https://clips.twitch.tv/AdorableTenderCrowLitFam

NFS is not a series i would even know anything about but Youtuber Angry Joe did a 20 min thing on the state of this new game. joe has been vocal in the past in his reviews about the dangers/wariness of loot crates, microtransactions, etc. this isn't even one of his formal reviews, he was going to play the game and it ended up just sucking. and one point he made is how you don't even build your car, etc. you just apply cards with stat bonuses to it. he's a car fan and would want to spend time in the virtual garage building his car but nope, you just play for these cards and if you don't like what you earn thru the game then hey you can spend real money to increase your chances. so gross.

I've played pretty much every Need For Speed game, and am as close to a loyal customer of the franchise as there is, I suppose. I bought an XBox One S (gamertag ChuckTingle76, add me for gaming "fun") and got that as my "pick a free game under $60" offer. I've got no idea why they went for the card thing to upgrade your car - perhaps some sort of thing where you can trade "rare" cards that was abandoned in alpha, or something?

Oh, you can spend real money for better cards. That does suck, I suppose, and I presume at some point I'm going to come up against a hard limit of what I can do with my freebie automobiles. I don't care that it's cards over parts, because I don't care about the reality of cars, but if it's all about getting you to spend money then that would suck. But...there's never been tons of real petrol-head stuff in the NFS franchise, has there? If there has been, I've been able to complete every game in the series without using it or thinking about it.

The gameplay is great as ever, though, lovely smooth movement, I like the location it's in too. (Full disclosure: I even really liked the FMV-heavy instalment they put out a few years ago).