The Video Game Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by TheoSqua »

TimeForGuinness wrote:
Michael wrote:TFG, I agree with your comments. I'm sure I'll get a ps3 once the price drops. Their 09 lineup looks good.
I'm sure I'll pick up an Xbox too...have you heard if they fixed their issues with it yet? or are they just going to warranty it and fix as they go?

Just asking because I don't follow it that much
Buy the elite, it has a different chassis layout and generally has no issues. I've had mine for like a year with zero problems.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Post by TimeForGuinness »

Michael wrote:
TimeForGuinness wrote:
Michael wrote:TFG, I agree with your comments. I'm sure I'll get a ps3 once the price drops. Their 09 lineup looks good.
I'm sure I'll pick up an Xbox too...have you heard if they fixed their issues with it yet? or are they just going to warranty it and fix as they go?

I've read the rate has dropped significantly and they pretty good about turning around fixes. Additionally, they released the new "falcon" chip, which should fix the problem.
Good stuff...my wife is going to kill me...I'll just send her to the mall with my credit card.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

TimeForGuinness wrote:
Michael wrote:
TimeForGuinness wrote:

I've read the rate has dropped significantly and they pretty good about turning around fixes. Additionally, they released the new "falcon" chip, which should fix the problem.
Good stuff...my wife is going to kill me...I'll just send her to the mall with my credit card.

Like I noted to Joc earlier, if you look online you can find some really great deals.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Post by TimeForGuinness »

Michael wrote:
TimeForGuinness wrote:
Michael wrote:
TimeForGuinness wrote:

Like I noted to Joc earlier, if you look online you can find some really great deals.
It's not the price I'm worried about...it's the hours in front of the TV...haha

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

thanks for the responses to my question fellow GRB'ers

another question i have...does it make a difference what your harddrive is? the memory card is just for games, right? so is the harddrive for..movies and such to download onto the device (xbox)?

'cause i was just planning on getting the xbox 360 arcade "configuration"...but that only comes with 256MB of memory...do i really need the bigger harddrive(s)? i guess im "confused" on teh whole memory cards (or what i think of memory cards, for saving game progress) versus teh actual systems harddrive...and/or whats most important?

well...i fee llike i butchered that question...but if you can answer it, id appreciate it

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

The HD is nice if you plan to DL a lot of multiplayer maps, demos and XBL games. It's not an issue for game saves. You can always upgrade later.

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

This thread isn't doing anything for my steadfast refusal to get Live, though it goes without saying I would thoroughly kick all your asses in any FPS.

/never played Live for more than 5 minutes
//searches for GameStop discount card

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Jocephus wrote:thanks for the responses to my question fellow GRB'ers

another question i have...does it make a difference what your harddrive is? the memory card is just for games, right? so is the harddrive for..movies and such to download onto the device (xbox)?

'cause i was just planning on getting the xbox 360 arcade "configuration"...but that only comes with 256MB of memory...do i really need the bigger harddrive(s)? i guess im "confused" on teh whole memory cards (or what i think of memory cards, for saving game progress) versus teh actual systems harddrive...and/or whats most important?

well...i fee llike i butchered that question...but if you can answer it, id appreciate it
I referenced it before, but the cool thing about the new Xbox download is that it lets you copy your games to the hard drive so they can run off of that instead of the DVD drive. I've read reports online that it works pretty well, decreases the loading times for some games, and is a LOT quieter. I worry for some reason about working the hard drive that much, but really it won't be any more work than a computer hard drive gets.

Of course that will eat up your hard drive space fast. So it would be best to limit it to the couple of games you're playing the most.

clevername
Bringer of FRBG

Post by clevername »

and, as has been pointed out, you can always upgrade the size of your hard drive. They're easy to remove and replace and the new hard drive comes with a cable to transfer all your data.

The problem is it has to be the 360 proprietary hard drive. So, you pay the premium for that.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Just added the current season of Heroes via Netflix (somehow they offer it). Watching an episode in HD now.

This [expletive] is the bomb!

* I should add there are foreign films aplenty for instant viewing.
Last edited by ghostrunner on November 19 08, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.