Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Post by ghostrunner »

Hadn't looked at this thread in a while. Went to the Shawnee National forest a couple weeks ago and it was great. Went to Garden of the Gods, Rim Rocks, and Giant City State Park. Recommend all 3, which are within an hour of where we camped.

The last two had hardly anyone there. Seems like these national forests and state parks ought to get more attention with the National Parks getting overrun. We saw one person leaving the main Giant City trail as we walked in and didn't see another person the whole time. On a Friday morning.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

ghostrunner wrote:Hadn't looked at this thread in a while. Went to the Shawnee National forest a couple weeks ago and it was great. Went to Garden of the Gods, Rim Rocks, and Giant City State Park. Recommend all 3, which are within an hour of where we camped.
awesome - I've only been to Giant City and it's been years. Need to check it out. Where did you camp -and what did you think of it?
ghostrunner wrote: The last two had hardly anyone there. Seems like these national forests and state parks ought to get more attention with the National Parks getting overrun. We saw one person leaving the main Giant City trail as we walked in and didn't see another person the whole time. On a Friday morning.
Now now, keep it down about this. We don't want that.

Actually, it's sort of same premise behind Natl Park system - need enough visitation and appreciation of it by the public, to keep it semi-preserved instead of handed over to private interests. A kind of balancing act.

IMO - as population expands, we need more public lands.

in MO -4 state parks on hold

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

I used my rewards points at work to get a free Osprey Volt 60 backpack, which will replace my 20+ year old external frame pack that I used as a Boy Scout. Gonna use the hell out of this one in the next few years when we go hiking in Peru and hit up a few National Parks.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Freed Roger wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:Hadn't looked at this thread in a while. Went to the Shawnee National forest a couple weeks ago and it was great. Went to Garden of the Gods, Rim Rocks, and Giant City State Park. Recommend all 3, which are within an hour of where we camped.
awesome - I've only been to Giant City and it's been years. Need to check it out. Where did you camp -and what did you think of it?
ghostrunner wrote: The last two had hardly anyone there. Seems like these national forests and state parks ought to get more attention with the National Parks getting overrun. We saw one person leaving the main Giant City trail as we walked in and didn't see another person the whole time. On a Friday morning.
Now now, keep it down about this. We don't want that.

Actually, it's sort of same premise behind Natl Park system - need enough visitation and appreciation of it by the public, to keep it semi-preserved instead of handed over to private interests. A kind of balancing act.

IMO - as population expands, we need more public lands.

in MO -4 state parks on hold
We camped at Lake Glendale Recreation area. It was actually pretty busy by Friday, but we went with a non-electric spot this time. Much quieter than the last time we camped.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Woman gored by bison after crowd gets too close

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/news/06072018.htm
On the morning of June 6, 59-year-old Kim Hancock of Santa Rosa, California, was gored by a bull bison at Fountain Paint Pot in the Lower Geyser Basin.
Hancock and a crowd of people approached within ten yards of the bison while walking along a boardwalk. At one point, people were closer than 15 feet from the bison. When it crossed the boardwalk, the bison became agitated and charged the crowd, goring Hancock. The bison immediately left the area.
Rangers responded to the incident and treated Hancock for a hip injury: she was transported by paramedic ambulance to the Big Sky Medical Center in Big Sky, Montana, in good condition.
This incident remains under investigation.
This is the second incident of a bison injuring a visitor in 2018 (previous release: Bison injures visitor at Old Faithful). There was one incident in 2017 and five in 2015.
In a little over a month, four people have been injured by wildlife in Yellowstone.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Tim wrote:

On the morning of June 6, 59-year-old Kim Hancock of Santa Rosa, California, was gored by a bull bison at Fountain Paint Pot in the Lower Geyser Basin.
Hancock and a crowd of people approached within ten yards of the bison while walking along a boardwalk. At one point, people were closer than 15 feet from the bison. When it crossed the boardwalk, the bison became agitated and charged the crowd, goring Hancock. The bison immediately left the area.
Rangers responded to the incident and treated Hancock for a hip injury: she was transported by paramedic ambulance to the Big Sky Medical Center in Big Sky, Montana, in good condition.
This is the second incident of a bison injuring a visitor in 2018 (previous release: Bison injures visitor at Old Faithful). There was one incident in 2017 and five in 2015.
In a little over a month, four people have been injured by wildlife in Yellowstone.
GOOOOOOOO WILDLIFE!!

......glad she's in good condition.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

the screensaver on my work comp has a shot of Johnson Canyon at Banff National Park and has me wanting to go there.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

go birds wrote:the screensaver on my work comp has a shot of Johnson Canyon at Banff National Park and has me wanting to go there.
I've driven by that trailhead dozens of times, but have never stopped to do the hike. I'll be there again this fall--I need to make the point of finally doing it.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

I have a paddleboard and kayak. So my new fun thing is to hack a trip where I can ride a river downstream, and shuttle myself back to the vehicle by bike, or run/hike. I've gone solo on some of this, just because I can. Solo is feeling of great freedom at times. I'm sure many of you folks can relate.

Between that, and trail running excursions, overnight/day trips with my family or dog etc, I've seen a lot of the great outdoors locally.

And that makes me happy.

I could put more pics - these are from last couple months - but this is gratuitous enough . Thanks for obliging. these are FB image links, so not sure if they hold up here.
[SHOW]
Meramec near Rte 66 SP

West Tyson
Weldon Springs Cons Area
Lewis and Clark Trail Weldon Springs
Brazile Creek
Ozark Trail
Huzzah! OT
Council Bluff Lake
St Genevieve area
Missouri River St Charles County
Johnson Shut ins SP campground
Meramec R, Southeast of Bourbon.
Thickety Ford road, near Brazile Creek

American Flag roaching out along the Meramec, Near Pacific MO
Mina Sauk Falls/Taum Sauk
MO River and Katy Trail
Cave off Katy Trail I wasn't supposed to go into (honest mistake)
Cooper's Landing
Last edited by Freed Roger on June 7 18, 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Tim wrote:

I saw people getting stupidly close to Bison last year when we were at Yellowstone. I couldn't believe it. Maybe I have more respect for them since I've been around cattle and I know how much they can mess you up by not even meaning to. I was fine watching the Bison from 100ft away.

What was really shocking was the people who would get close to bears. We saw this mother bear with her cubs playing in a meadow and this guy is just walking out there with his camera to get a picture. At one point he was I'd say 5 car lengths from the bear. I thought for sure that guy was going to die that day.