GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 22 19, 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
PostPosted: May 23 19, 2:47 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

What the

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx0GhvhBDT0 ... _copy_link

PostPosted: May 23 19, 5:27 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
Freed Roger wrote:

That does not look like fun.

PostPosted: May 28 19, 9:19 am 

Radbird wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:

That does not look like fun.

A whole bunch of deaths on Everest lately

PostPosted: May 28 19, 9:25 am 

There is a TransAmerica Trail for cycling that goes from VA to Astoria OR. Saw about half dozen cyclists with panniers heading west on it in Southern MO. Man, those are some curvy roads with no shoulder whatsoever. vehicles would scare the [expletive] out of me.

PostPosted: July 22 19, 10:28 am 

23 Utah Boy Scouts rescued from Green River after homemade canoes sink

Sounds like the internet is already piling on.

Not joining in on that, but have a few observations - large groups are not conducive to safe, enjoyable and Leave-no-trace outdoor excursions.

The BSA aren't the only organization foisting a gaggle of kids out there, but it has a propensity for these big group activities. They swing a wide berth.

The big group thing seems mostly counterproductive for helping kids reconnect with the natural world. It ends up being mostly about large group dynamics and squirreling around and group leaders unable to keep up with the kids energy level (while waiting for the inevitable kid that is struggling).

It is a circus. I know, sending small group of kids off into the woods with an adult or two has it's own issues.

I have too many anecdotes on this to share, - the charter bus full of church kids in the Ozark Natl Scenic Riverways.

The large Scout group on N Manitou island supposedly out there to pick up trash. I am pretty sure camping in groups larger than 6 is not backcountry LNT principle. They kind of wreaked havoc on our time there - every time we round the corner one them boys taking a leak and all.
And dispersed camping my arse. We finally got away from them when they had to go searching for lost scout -Conrad.

The safety thing in #s is inherently bad. You can only go as fast as your slowest hiker/climber/paddler. Good luck when kids involved.

My neighbor is a scout leader, who likes the outdoors, begrudgingly admits his son dislikes the scout outings. Somewhere in Oklahoma in middle of summer with a bunch a hepped up kids- what should he expect.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43