TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Curb renewed for a 10th season.

Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

Post by Secret Weapon »

Mr Robot season 3 was very good

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

For anyone who hasn't started watching The Punisher on Netflix, do so ASAP....it's FANTASTIC.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Ugh, I got tired of Bates Motel after 2 seasons.

Anyway, I found a fantastic show on HBO called High Maintenance. It's a dramedy about a marijuana dealer and all the lives he interacts with. It's not a dumb stoner comedy, but a really smart, funny show that consistently subverts expectations. Each episode is a standalone 30 mins with new characters and stories. Overall I think the trend towards hour long serialized shows has been a good thing, but it's gotten a little tiresome which makes High Maintenance really refreshing. The show actually started out as web series (AD knows what's up). The HBO series and the web series can both be found on hbogo. I watched the HBO series first and followed up with the web series. That viewing order worked great, but if I had to do it all over again I would have watched the web series first because I missed a few references/context that the web series would have clued me in to. The web series episodes range from 6-20 min and well worth watching.

After American Vandal, High Maintenance is the 2nd best thing I've watched this year. Season 2 starts Jan 19 and I can't wait.
Last edited by Michael on December 18 17, 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

3 episodes into season 2 of The Crown. Such a good show. Pretty interesting to read up on the Suez Canal.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i read a blurb that nbc is trying to/wants/is open to bringing back the office.

THINK OF NEW IDEAS CREATIVE PEOPLE

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Jocephus wrote:i read a blurb that nbc is trying to/wants/is open to bringing back the office.

THINK OF NEW IDEAS CREATIVE PEOPLE
By then Comcast/Universal/NBC will be owned by Disney/Marvel/Fox. So I would expect a Deadpool/Angela love storyline, and a special hour-long episode where Jim takes his kids to Frozen 2 that just cuts to an extended preview.

I know Modern Family is still plodding along, but the mockumentary format seems pretty dead. It wasn't even working for The Office before the series ended (though they finally did some slightly interesting stuff with it toward the end there).

Ricky Gervais hasn't been up to much lately though, so maybe he needs to get a little dust out of that cow's teet. I wonder if any of his Offices are still running.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Copying this over from the movies thread:
Popeye_Card wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:It's a plot adapted from the comic books. Which doesn't mean anyone has to like it. The genre is wearing thin with me, mostly because of the formula and escalating stakes. The Netflix shows could be much better and they have their moments. They really need to trim the number of episodes down. Almost every season starts well and drags to the finish or turns absurd.
Defenders was shorter, but I was pretty meh on it. I'm pretty worn out on the Hand as the primary villain.
The Punisher is far and away the best of these Marvel Netflix shows. Has none of the pacing issues I mentioned above and its still 13 episodes. There's a subplot with a bombing that gets close but it still ties in thematically and mostly works. (Karen Page is a character I somehow like while recognizing she does nothing for the shows she's in.)

It handles PTSD issues with sensitivity and I thought it both criticized and honored the military fairly. There's some 2nd amendment commentary that feels clumsily worked in, probably because The Punisher has to shoot people with regularity and it ought to just steer clear of that topic.

I think it helps that it's the most realistic, i.e. least fantiastical or to do with superpowers. And that going in I had little interest or love for the character might have actually worked in its favor. Really it's just executed extremely well. The showrunner worked some on Hannibal, and while it's nothing like it, it's the same kind of competence and focus.

I thought I was going to hate Frank's partner in the beginning but he turned out to be an endearing character. The government agencies and officials are also refreshingly competent even though they screw up. Almost every character's actions and motivations make sense and ring true, which isn't something I can say for the other Marvel shows.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I've watched a lot of the Twilight Zone marathon on SyFy the past couple days-- amazing how little we've learned 50+ years later. "The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street" is still applicable today.