TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I still like it quite a bit, but IMO Barry hasn't really lived up to the promise of the pilot. There was a subtlety that hasn't remained. And as Barry is fleshed out he's less intriguing than when he was a mystery. I guess I thought it was going to be dryer and colder and was excited for that.

The outing a Christian episode of Silicon Valley tonight was marvellous. Hopefully it doesn't become a thing for the alt-right (what a time we live in...). It was great.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Les Mis played a lot in my house as a kid. Even if I didn't know the music, this would be a legendary sketch:

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Allison Mack of ‘Smallville’ Is Charged With Sex Trafficking
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/20/nyre ... cking.html

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

I don't know if last night's season premier of Westworld was good or not because I had no idea what was happening.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Hoot45 wrote:I don't know if last night's season premier of Westworld was good or not because I had no idea what was happening.

lol!

Same.

The thing about westworld, that i discovered over the past couple of months, is that it's not as good the second time around as the first.

I tried re-watching the first season as a refresher and it kinda seemed like a slog.

That's not to say that it's not a great show, it's just doesnt have much of a rewatchability factor.

I'm going to re-watch the final couple of episodes from last season though because i was so confused while watching the premiere last night.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

For me Westworld has been:

Ep 1: Oh this is really great, very unique, well made.
Ep 2: Ok, this is a bit off from the pilot.
Ep 3: I'm not sure I dig this show
Ep 4-8: I'm not entirely sure why I'm still watching this, it has some redeeming stuff but it's such a drag and I don't think I like it.
Ep 9: Oh, wow, we're kinda back on track here.
Ep 10: That. Was. Freaking. Awesome. Mind blown.
Last night: I don't think I like this show again.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I haven't watched episode 1 yet, but here are my Westworld thoughts going in to this season:
Michael wrote:I enjoyed season 1 of westworld, but I have a sinking feeling the show's quality is going to drop significantly. There are a lot of ominous signs in season 1.
I hope I'm wrong.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Jocephus wrote:
Allison Mack of ‘Smallville’ Is Charged With Sex Trafficking
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/20/nyre ... cking.html
I used to watch Smallville.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

I think the thing that was somewhat compelling about the first season of Westworld was the question: "What role would you take in a world in which you can act however you want without accountability?" You can murder children and rape women and kill men who can't hurt you, or you can take on the role of a good guy and do good deeds. In this way, it's somewhat similar to Red Dead Redemption--both a wild west video game that allows you to decide. Now, in season two, if it's all Revenge Of The Robots, what will be the show's big question it asks viewers? Will it be a tale of a corporation that enabled that Black Hat behavior using more of it to clean up the park, or will there be something different there? It seems clear (spoiler alert) with the bodies of hosts in the lake at the end, and Bernard saying he put them there, that we will be working on at least two different timelines again. My assumption is that the bodies in the lake, we were seeing Arnold and not Bernard. Also, when Ed Harris says "Now the stakes are real", weren't they very real (for the hosts) in season one? How is it more real now?

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

33anda3rd wrote:I think the thing that was somewhat compelling about the first season of Westworld was the question: "What role would you take in a world in which you can act however you want without accountability?" You can murder children and rape women and kill men who can't hurt you, or you can take on the role of a good guy and do good deeds. In this way, it's somewhat similar to Red Dead Redemption--both a wild west video game that allows you to decide. Now, in season two, if it's all Revenge Of The Robots, what will be the show's big question it asks viewers? Will it be a tale of a corporation that enabled that Black Hat behavior using more of it to clean up the park, or will there be something different there? It seems clear (spoiler alert) with the bodies of hosts in the lake at the end, and Bernard saying he put them there, that we will be working on at least two different timelines again. My assumption is that the bodies in the lake, we were seeing Arnold and not Bernard. Also, when Ed Harris says "Now the stakes are real", weren't they very real (for the hosts) in season one? How is it more real now?
Pretty much agree with everything you've said about the show so far. I do think the new philosophical question for this season could be about the definition of "real". Maeve teased this when she asked Lee how her daughter is not real if Maeve was able to cross some line from fake to real, demonstrated by her potential to take his life.