TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Swirls
gone fission

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by Swirls »

thrill wrote:
JL21 wrote:When that scene started, I said "Oooh, that's Ravel!" and then I felt like a fancy smart guy because I knew a single piece of classical music..
Haha me too. My dog was v impressed. I remembered it was called Bolero, but not who the composer is.
JL21 wrote: I get the feeling that's just what the show is- that we're probably always going to be dealing with this "Is it or isn't it real?" thing.
I'm not a comic book guy so when the show came out, I wiki'd the Legion character. Seems like a really frustrating, [expletive] character. Just bounces from god mode to helpless, mentally unstable/ill basket case. If the show wasn't so visually interesting and well acted, I'd be out.
Yeah, Legion is kind of a weird character in the comics. Basically the most powerful mutant out there, but a [expletive] schizophrenic psychopath with about a billion different personalities each with their own powers.

I read that originally they were going to have the show be part of Fox's X-Men cinematic universe, as David is Professor X's son, but they ultimately decided to have it be set in a parallel universe instead. I can see good and bad to doing it that way. On one hand, everyone has heard of the X-Men, so if he is associated with them then everyone will automatically have a bit of semi-familiarity. On the other hand, by being completely separated from it, the show is allowed to stand on its own merit.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Swirls wrote:
thrill wrote:
JL21 wrote:When that scene started, I said "Oooh, that's Ravel!" and then I felt like a fancy smart guy because I knew a single piece of classical music..
Haha me too. My dog was v impressed. I remembered it was called Bolero, but not who the composer is.
JL21 wrote: I get the feeling that's just what the show is- that we're probably always going to be dealing with this "Is it or isn't it real?" thing.
I'm not a comic book guy so when the show came out, I wiki'd the Legion character. Seems like a really frustrating, [expletive] character. Just bounces from god mode to helpless, mentally unstable/ill basket case. If the show wasn't so visually interesting and well acted, I'd be out.
Yeah, Legion is kind of a weird character in the comics. Basically the most powerful mutant out there, but a [expletive] schizophrenic psychopath with about a billion different personalities each with their own powers.

I read that originally they were going to have the show be part of Fox's X-Men cinematic universe, as David is Professor X's son, but they ultimately decided to have it be set in a parallel universe instead. I can see good and bad to doing it that way. On one hand, everyone has heard of the X-Men, so if he is associated with them then everyone will automatically have a bit of semi-familiarity. On the other hand, by being completely separated from it, the show is allowed to stand on its own merit.
They've hinted at Professor X a couple times. Lenny said something about his real father being holier than thou, and there was a quick shot of the famous wheelchair in the last episode.

Even when the weird stuff doesn't work, it's super refreshing to see them trying things out. Loved the whole Bolero/silent movie sequence and how the dialogue cards looked like the end credits.

I did feel a couple times like I was losing my understanding of what was a dream and what was real, and in a way that didn't feel intentional. A little confused too about how Jemaine Clement is suddenly out of his diver suit in the real world - I suppose you're meant to think David zapped him out?

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I really like the show Crashing on HBO. It stars Pete Holmes and it's a semi-biographical show about his early years as a comedian. I suspect part of my enjoyment for the show is due to the fact that I used to listen to Holmes' podcast You Made It Weird, however I don't think you have to listen to the podcast to enjoy Crashing. Anyway, the show is an easy mix of comedy and light tragedy with some excellent cameos. I also think the show's insight into what it's like being a struggling comedian in a big city is really interesting. I highly recommend it.

-edit His stand up special Faces And Sounds on HBO is worth watching as well.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

yea im enjoying it as well

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Michael wrote:I really like the show Crashing on HBO. It stars Pete Holmes and it's a semi-biographical show about his early years as a comedian. I suspect part of my enjoyment for the show is due to the fact that I used to listen to Holmes' podcast You Made It Weird, however I don't think you have to listen to the podcast to enjoy Crashing. Anyway, the show is an easy mix of comedy and light tragedy with some excellent cameos. I also think the show's insight into what it's like being a struggling comedian in a big city is really interesting. I highly recommend it.

Co-sign. I also recommend You Made It Weird in limited doses. Pete Holmes is very funny and very insightful but can disappear up his own ass so completely sometimes that I got tired of the podcast.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Yeah, exactly. I felt like he talked about the same things over and over again and it became tiresome.

The show is excellent however.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

I'm sure I'm way late to the party, but I've been watching John Oliver on HBO and he's cracking my ass up

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Michael wrote:I really like the show Crashing on HBO. It stars Pete Holmes and it's a semi-biographical show about his early years as a comedian. I suspect part of my enjoyment for the show is due to the fact that I used to listen to Holmes' podcast You Made It Weird, however I don't think you have to listen to the podcast to enjoy Crashing. Anyway, the show is an easy mix of comedy and light tragedy with some excellent cameos. I also think the show's insight into what it's like being a struggling comedian in a big city is really interesting. I highly recommend it.

I feel like the world has enough lightly fictionalised accounts of the world of standup comedians, but it sounds good.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

ghostrunner wrote:
Swirls wrote:
thrill wrote:

They've hinted at Professor X a couple times. Lenny said something about his real father being holier than thou, and there was a quick shot of the famous wheelchair in the last episode.

Even when the weird stuff doesn't work, it's super refreshing to see them trying things out. Loved the whole Bolero/silent movie sequence and how the dialogue cards looked like the end credits.

I did feel a couple times like I was losing my understanding of what was a dream and what was real, and in a way that didn't feel intentional. A little confused too about how Jemaine Clement is suddenly out of his diver suit in the real world - I suppose you're meant to think David zapped him out?
I was able to get fully caught up over the weekend. I had suspected it was the Shadow King after the first few episodes based on his repeated involvement/possessions of David throughout the comics.

I too am curious about Clement being transported out of the Astral Plane and into the real world, then somehow going back to what we assume is the Astral Plane again towards the end of the episode. Agreed it can be really hard to follow dreams/reality - the show has traversed this line back and forth all season with zero warning whatsoever. It's definitely frustrating at times. As a comic book geek even I can't follow along with what the [expletive] is going on half the time.

I'm excited for the season finale tomorrow night.