TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Michael
GRB Founder

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by Michael »

ghostrunner wrote:
Michael wrote:I'm finally watching Broad City on Hulu and it's great. Ilana Glazer is a revelation.
Stop at season 2
Bummer. I'm in the middle of season 2.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I loved it at first.

Season 3 opens with a Shania Twain guest episode that's just an awful episode of television. We watched a couple more and I felt like they got the comedy yips.

Having said that, comedies seem to just lose my interest after a few seasons. It's like once I get the rhythm, it's not funny anymore. Not sure if I've finished one comedy series in the last 10 years.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

fwiw

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Sex Education is one of my top 5 shows of the past several years. It's a teenager/high school show, but it's way more than just that. It's very progressive and frank about sex, but it doesn't feel like it's doing any of that for cheap points or laughs. It's just fundamentally what the show is about, in addition to everyday human struggles. The cast keeps getting bigger, but it's somehow never a problem. They manage to fairly and generously depict 40+ characters, and do a better job of that than just about any show i can remember. I feel like it's somewhat akin to Dazed and Confused. Most shows have a character that annoys me and I can't wait for them to get off screen, but I've yet to find one here. There are no "villains", just characters the show hasn't gotten around to fleshing out yet.

Forgot to mention - they made a pretty interesting stylistic choice. It takes place in England, and is filmed in Wales, but they deliberately chose to give it an 80's American high school movie flavor. That sounds a bit trite at this point, but it's really just the atmosphere. There's often 80's music in the soundtrack, the jocks wear letterman jackets and it looks like it could be in America in the 80's, but there are cellphones and they make references to modern culture.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I will to give Sex Education a watch.

I finally watched Stranger Things over the weekend. It was entertaining. I really liked season one but thought season three was a bit much. That's my insightful take on it.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

After being discouraged that FX charges for some of their shows ondemand, I discovered that Fargo is on HULU, much to my delight. So, I am rewatching all the seasons in anticipation of season 4. Season 2 of Fargo is some of the best TV you can subject yourself to.

Also, you’re the worst is also on HULU. I’m gonna give that a whack again. I kinda lost interest around season 2 but everyone insists it’s good TV.

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

This show is really, really good. It ranks as the number 2 all-time anime by western audiences - probably because its kind of a pariah in the anime genre since its more of a western-style time travel thriller. And unlike all the other bad anime adaptions out there, they can probably do it justice since they'll likely give it ten episodes, instead of as a movie. I'd look out for it a few years.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Adam Driver (particularly when he hosts SNL) is delightful.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

The cheerleading documentary, creatively titled "Cheer," is pretty good.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:Adam Driver (particularly when he hosts SNL) is delightful.
I did not plan to watch SNL the other day, as I hadn't watched an episode in a very long time. But I did, and I was amused. His monologue was a pile of meh, but The Science Room skit was pretty funny.

SNL question: Are the music acts getting more involved with skits, or was this just a situation where Halsey was trying to show her range?