TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Succession is pretty fun. It's from Adam McKay (who's Dick Cheney movie I most certainly CAN wait for, but for whom I have much love), and stars Brian Cox (not Albert Finney, IMBD tells me). I don't care for the zoom in/out camerawork. But the show is drama in a fun way and well done. I love the music.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Anybody watch Sharp Objects? I thought it was incredible. A feminist True Detective Season One. On board.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

That Billie Jean King - Bobby what's his name documentary on HBO last not was goddamn awful. The most paint-by-numbers thing I've seen in a while, where it's like HERE IS THE TIME WHEN WE ARE SUPPOSED TO HIT THIS NOTE SO WE WILL HIT THIS NOTE NOW. Just dreadful dialog. Really bad.

Sharp Objects on the other hand.........seriously, nobody? This show is great.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

re: sharp objects...yes very good. only have seen the 1st episode (was out last night, so haven't seen the 2nd one as of yet)...very much a true detective season 1 vibe to it as you said.

also, i can't remember if it was this thread (didn't go to look), but yellowstone on the paramount network is very good as well.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Last Chance U Season 3 drops on Netflix Friday.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:Evil Genius is interesting. Probably didn't need four hours of show, but I liked it.
[SHOW]
I'm not convinced Wells wasn't a conspirator. In fact, I lean toward the conspirator turned victim theory.

I have come to the conclusion that these crime docs are little better than Geraldo and Nancy Grace. At best they expose what no one seems to be paying attention to, poor local policing and turf wars over jurisdiction.

Maybe I’m jaded by how crappy Evil Genius and Up & Vanished were. Really, it’s opiate for the masses, little better than soap operas.

Sure, I’ll go ahead and watch the last ep of EG but why?

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

lukethedrifter wrote:
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:Evil Genius is interesting. Probably didn't need four hours of show, but I liked it.
[SHOW]
I'm not convinced Wells wasn't a conspirator. In fact, I lean toward the conspirator turned victim theory.

I have come to the conclusion that these crime docs are little better than Geraldo and Nancy Grace. At best they expose what no one seems to be paying attention to, poor local policing and turf wars over jurisdiction.

Maybe I’m jaded by how crappy Evil Genius and Up & Vanished were. Really, it’s opiate for the masses, little better than soap operas.

Sure, I’ll go ahead and watch the last ep of EG but why?
If you want a good one, watch American Vandal.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I don’t know why but Netflix keeps pushing Trailer Park Boys on me. It looks dumb as hell. It’s very popular on reddit as I recall, but that’s not really a point in it’s favor.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i've only seen a handful of episodes but it's not bad

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:Succession is pretty fun. It's from Adam McKay (who's Dick Cheney movie I most certainly CAN wait for, but for whom I have much love), and stars Brian Cox (not Albert Finney, IMBD tells me). I don't care for the zoom in/out camerawork. But the show is drama in a fun way and well done. I love the music.
The music really is great. This is an interesting article about the composer.

I wasn't sure about it through the first two or three episodes but by episode four I was totally hooked.