TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by ghostrunner »

Just about done with the first season of Man in the High Castle.

Most excited I've been over a "new" show in a while. A little worried the plot mechanism is going to end up seeming convoluted, but at least through the first 9 episodes they made a smart move to ignore it as much as possible. It's amazing how many good shows there are and that they're able to find enough good actors.

Michael wrote:I thought The Young Pope was fantastic. The show is absurd in the best way possible. "Evil pope" is a role Jude Law was made to play. His opening speech and the meeting with his adviser were hilarious. It's likely the show won't be able to sustain itself, but for me the opener delivered the goods in a big way.
I assumed it was going to be a movie or miniseries, just due to the premise and the cast.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Miguel Ferrer died. Always have liked him. Played some great jerks, especially in Twin Peaks.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/migu ... 61-n709176

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Miguel Ferrer was great in Robocop. Isn't he a cousin of George Clooney?

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

I bought this with some leftover holiday money, and I'm loving the [expletive] out of it. Can't recommend it enough. Matt Zoller Seitz and Alan Sepinwall are really good at their jobs.

It's prompted me to re-watch some specific episodes that they've referenced, and I'm going to try to tackle as many of these shows as I can. Even if it's just a season or two of those shows so I can say I know a little bit about it.

Right now, I'm doing the Mary Tyler Moore Show. I think Hill Street Blues will be next. Both of those are in their top 15.

I can't remember their exact top 10, but I know the top two are The Simpsons and The Sopranos. Then in no particular order- Cheers, The Wire, Breaking Bad, and I Love Lucy are all in the top 10.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

JoeMcKim wrote:Miguel Ferrer was great in Robocop. Isn't he a cousin of George Clooney?
Yep, his mom was Rosemary Clooney. Dad was Jose Ferrer.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I've started watching Justified on Amazon and I'm on season 2. I think the show is pretty bad, but also very watchable. It's basically a live acted version of a hillbilly town grand theft auto video game. The whole town is crazy and the people are absurd. The dialog is lol worthy, but I kinda adore it.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Walton Goggins is one of my favorite actors bar none and he's fantastic on Justified just like he was in The Shield and a few of the recent Tarantino movies.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Anyone else catch "Legion" tonight? Seems really promising.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

JoeMcKim wrote:Walton Goggins is one of my favorite actors bar none and he's fantastic on Justified just like he was in The Shield and a few of the recent Tarantino movies.
he's pretty good in Vice Principles as well.

Legion was pretty good. Noah Hawley is awesome and cant do no wrong in my book.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

haltz wrote:The plot is painfully straightforward and cliche, but Goliath was pretty entertaining on the strength of a great cast. Anyone else watch it? Surprised that it came out last October and I didn't know it existed until this week.
Yes. Loved it. Can't wait for the next season.