TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Michael
GRB Founder

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by Michael »

JoeMcKim wrote:Walton Goggins is one of my favorite actors bar none and he's fantastic on Justified just like he was in The Shield and a few of the recent Tarantino movies.
He's very good. I think Jeremy Davies who plays Dickie Bennett is fantastic.

Timothy Olyphant... eh

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Raylan's boss, played by real life a-hole Nick Searcy, is great in that show as well.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Gave up on Boardwalk Empire halfway through season 4. Started out very, very strong and stayed that way probably through season 2. Season 3 was pretty good, but the whole thing with Gyp was overdone. I don't know... Season 4 just feels different. Let me know if I need to plow through for the final season.

With that on the shelf, I started Deadwood last week. Already onto season two. Pretty good so far.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

i mean, if you've already been halfway through season 4, you might as well push through? there's only 5 seasons and the last one is only 8 episodes, so it's not that much more.

i liked it though, so i'd def finish it. season 5 i thought was very good...the kid they got to play his younger self looks just like him, it's crazy. (meaning how do you find someone that could possibly look like a younger version of Steve Buscemi? lol)

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Seeing Cecily Strong in her undies on SNL was an unexpected, pleasant surprise. Not sure the leaf blower gag was supposed to go there, but I'm not sure it wasn't either.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

The Young Pope wrapped up last night. I really enjoyed the show and Jude Law was great. If you like dark comedies you ought to check it out.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

started watching Shameless--pretty good stuff to get me by during the lull between now and baseball season

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

AdmiralKird wrote:The People vs OJ Simpson was spectacular. Despite the fact you know most of the story, the verdict, the Bronco, the glove, the twists, everything is well-scripted, acted, directed, shot - it's the most phenomenal ten hour series I've seen in several years.
Bumping this because I just got done with Episode 9 on Netflix. This hour of television should be required viewing by every middle school student in America. Hands down the most effective thing I have ever seen for conveying the black experience in America to those who aren't aware or haven't cared.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Michael wrote:
JoeMcKim wrote:Walton Goggins is one of my favorite actors bar none and he's fantastic on Justified just like he was in The Shield and a few of the recent Tarantino movies.

Timothy Olyphant... eh
Olyphant is the best thing about the show, IMO. Not sure the character is always written well in terms of motivation, but I think his dialogue is more crisp than Goggins', who sometimes sounds like he belongs on Deadwood. It works sometimes, and I always like when another character calls him out for it.

Season 2 is an odd one. Most agree it's the best season because of the Bennett's, but it also has the lame stolen cash storyline with Raylan's ex, and the whole coal company/religious Boyd story did nothing for me. Season 3 is my favorite - probably the most Elmore Leonard like of all of them. Lots of good bit characters and dark humor.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

ghostrunner wrote:
Michael wrote:

Timothy Olyphant... eh
Olyphant is the best thing about the show, IMO. Not sure the character is always written well in terms of motivation, but I think his dialogue is more crisp than Goggins', who sometimes sounds like he belongs on Deadwood. It works sometimes, and I always like when another character calls him out for it.

Season 2 is an odd one. Most agree it's the best season because of the Bennett's, but it also has the lame stolen cash storyline with Raylan's ex, and the whole coal company/religious Boyd story did nothing for me. Season 3 is my favorite - probably the most Elmore Leonard like of all of them. Lots of good bit characters and dark humor.
I agree Olyphant dialogue was on point, but I think Olyphant as an actor is problem for me. Admittedly, the more I watch the show the more I warm to him.