TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by Schlich »

"Life is a [expletive] Up Mess" from Big Mouth deserves an Emmy for Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics. lmao.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I power watched, Godless, the new western on Netflix. I watched the whole series, so I liked it on some level, but overall I was disappointed. I feel like the show wasn't nearly as smart as it wanted to be. The dialog was overly pretentious and overwrought. Some of acting was also spoty. Michelle Dockery basically has one facial expression and Jeff Daniels was seriously miscast. I did like Jack O'Connell.

Also, I'm a socially liberal guy, but I feel like this series tried too hard to show it's socially progressive credentials. In order to do so, there was too much plot that didn't really make sense and didn't really go anywhere. As a contrast , a great example of an awesome progressive movie is Mad Max: Road Fury, which was progressive in a way where the world completely made sense. With Godless they tried to pack too much of that type stuff in to a tiny 1800's town to the point where the world felt totally contrived. Combine that with some of the unnatural pretentious dialog (hello Jeff Daniels) and my braining was rebelling against what I was watching way too often.

Godless isn't the worst thing on Netflix, but for me it was a letdown. That said, the reviews are pretty solid, so I'm in the minority with my opinion.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Mr. Robot is back up to Season 1 quality so far this year, though I haven't seen the most recent episode. I've hated the Tyrell character but even his standalone episode was good.

The fifth episode is pretty interesting. It's in real time (like 24), no commericals, and feels like a continuous take though I know there were a lot of cheats involved.

Up to now they've wrung a lot of tension from the buildup to the second attack - that's come to a resolution now so I'm curious if they can keep up the pace.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Michael wrote:I power watched, Godless, the new western on Netflix. I watched the whole series, so I liked it on some level, but overall I was disappointed. I feel like the show wasn't nearly as smart as it wanted to be. The dialog was overly pretentious and overwrought. Some of acting was also spoty. Michelle Dockery basically has one facial expression and Jeff Daniels was seriously miscast. I did like Jack O'Connell.

Also, I'm a socially liberal guy, but I feel like this series tried too hard to show it's socially progressive credentials. In order to do so, there was too much plot that didn't really make sense and didn't really go anywhere. As a contrast , a great example of an awesome progressive movie is Mad Max: Road Fury, which was progressive in a way where the world completely made sense. With Godless they tried to pack too much of that type stuff in to a tiny 1800's town to the point where the world felt totally contrived. Combine that with some of the unnatural pretentious dialog (hello Jeff Daniels) and my braining was rebelling against what I was watching way too often.

Godless isn't the worst thing on Netflix, but for me it was a letdown. That said, the reviews are pretty solid, so I'm in the minority with my opinion.
Same.

Felt like there were a handful of characters that could've been truly great but they only got to like 80% realization of their motivations and personalities. Scoot McNairy's Sheriff could've been a great, great character if he wasn't wandering for the entire show and his blindness was more consistent. It's basically trying to be Unforgiven if every character in Unforgiven was 20% less compelling.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Schlich wrote:"Life is a [expletive] Up Mess" from Big Mouth deserves an Emmy for Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics. lmao.
"What's It Like to Be Gay" just [expletive] slayed me. Great show all around.

NSFW for any number of reasons.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Michael wrote:Season 2 of Lady Dynamite just dropped. Woot

In my opinion, season 2 of Lady Dynamite didn't live up to the standard of the first season. The first season was weird in a way that completely made sense given the story arch. Season 2 felt like it was being weird for the stake of being weird and it wasn't much fun.

I still recommend season 1 of Lady Dynamite. The ending is complete without any open questions. You can watch it like a mini series and skip season 2.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I decided to just bite the bullet and started paying for YouTubeTV last week after my free trial was up. I've been pretty happy with it and figure it's worth the $35/month to be able to watch Blues games complete with the ability to rewind and all that good stuff you get with a DVR.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

The Internet's take on the Amazon LOTR series seems to be 'we don't need it' and 'bad.' As a huge fan of the movies I say why not? People didn't seem to let the Wookie Christmas Special make Star Wars unsacred. Watch one of the other 6000 shows on the 5500 available outlets.

Perhaps being the only guy in my demographic that doesn't watch GOT (and really, why aren't they courting me?) has skewed my perspective. I say do it, Tolkien Estate.

Besides if we don't let Lord Bezos have his passion projects he's going to punish us by destroying what few things are working on our Main Streets once again.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Mindhunter was really good. I kept waiting for them to reveal that the lead guy had Aspergers (maybe not even a diagnosis in the 70s) and autism appeared to be a theme with Tench's kid, but the way things started to reach and effect him played out really well.

I didn't really appreciate the BTK stuff. I feel like there needed to be some payout there, or at least a little story.