TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by thrill »

Chernobyl was incredible and incredibly troubling. That first episode was the scariest horror movie i've seen in a long time. I got over the english accent thing pretty quick and there were some truly incredible performances. Like most people, I was aware of Chernobyl, but the details and the order with which the series revealed key pieces of information and the performances by the actors that accompanied it was incredible. There's a very unlikable portrayal of perhaps the key person responsible (for the actual meltdown, not the reasons it was possible) and a very important reveal at his trial that changes everything about how you perceive what and how it happened that took my breath away. You had all the info beforehand if you were paying attention, but when you realize the implications in the moment and how it affected his decision making at the time, it's truly unbelievable yet totally believable at the same time. As a study of human behavior, bureaucratic ass covering, ambition, and the role of the truth and lies in government, it's truly harrowing when viewed through the lens of governmental inability to face and combat climate change even though we have more than enough information to do so.

I would love if our resident nuclear power engineer could explain how the other reactors remained operational after the explosion and meltdown. Swirls, wtf man? Did people just go to work all day in radiation suits?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

A rebuttal to the portrayal of radiation in Chernobyl by this guy. No idea who he is.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshe ... 1848c632f6

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Amazon just launched Nicolas Refn's “Too Old To Die Young” tv show. I'm sure it's going to be awful, but I'll most likely watch it anyway.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

thrill wrote:Chernobyl was incredible and incredibly troubling. That first episode was the scariest horror movie i've seen in a long time. I got over the english accent thing pretty quick and there were some truly incredible performances. Like most people, I was aware of Chernobyl, but the details and the order with which the series revealed key pieces of information and the performances by the actors that accompanied it was incredible. There's a very unlikable portrayal of perhaps the key person responsible (for the actual meltdown, not the reasons it was possible) and a very important reveal at his trial that changes everything about how you perceive what and how it happened that took my breath away. You had all the info beforehand if you were paying attention, but when you realize the implications in the moment and how it affected his decision making at the time, it's truly unbelievable yet totally believable at the same time. As a study of human behavior, bureaucratic ass covering, ambition, and the role of the truth and lies in government, it's truly harrowing when viewed through the lens of governmental inability to face and combat climate change even though we have more than enough information to do so.

I would love if our resident nuclear power engineer could explain how the other reactors remained operational after the explosion and meltdown. Swirls, wtf man? Did people just go to work all day in radiation suits?
Sorry, just saw this. I haven't watched the series yet, but I intend to. The other units remained working until I believe like 2001-2002... So like 15 years or so after the accident, mostly because the USSR/Ukraine needed the electricity and their grid couldn't support the increased demand if the plants were permanently shut down.

About a decade ago I remember an old BBC documentary called the Chernobyl Sarcophagus - it was from like 2000, so it's probably available for free on YouTube honestly. It's about 45 minutes long? Anyways, it was filmed by the first media crew allowed at the accident site, so they have some great insights. Essentially workers were brought in/out each shift via train because of the exclusion/evacuation zone around the plant.

As for radiation suits, probably not. That's not really a thing - what you typically see nuclear workers wearing indoors during refueling outages or outside from accidents like Fukushima are essentially there for contamination, not radiation. Microscopic radioactive particles (contamination) would essentially be on the surface of everything in that area, and they're sticky and cling to anything that comes in contact with them so you completely cover yourself from head to toes with the understanding that your outermost layer of clothing will be covered in that crap, but it is disposed of so that your regular clothing is clean.

Actual radiation dose is typically minimized by three things that are pretty self-explanatory:
1. time (limit the actual amount of time spent performing work in an area, walk quickly past high radiation areas, etc)
2. distance (keep yourself as far away physically from the radioactive area as you can)
3. shielding (certain things like lead, water, and concrete are good barriers to block radioactive neutrons and other sub-atomic particles)

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Thank God. I need to learn more about Roy Donk and the Tuk Tuk sound. My musical knowledge is too meat and potatoes.

I think my favorite sketch was the one with Vanessa Bayer posting to social media.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I will lose my [expletive] if they do a Colgate Comedy Hour sketch.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

It's the only sketch show I've ever watched where I start laughing when I just realize what their premise is. Before the jokes even start happening I'm already delighted.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

thrill wrote:It's the only sketch show I've ever watched where I start laughing when I just realize what their premise is. Before the jokes even start happening I'm already delighted.
There's quite a few that I watched and laughed a bit, that I now lose my [expletive] just thinking about. I nearly hyperventilated trying to describe Bozo Dubbed Over a few days ago.