TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by heyzeus »

Michael wrote:
Michael wrote:I'm watching the new Julia Roberts show on amazon called Homecoming. I'm not in love with the show, but there's something about it that has me hooked. It's made by the same folks who created Mr. Robot so expect a slow burning unfolding mystery with plenty of stylistic flourishes. One thing I really appreciate is it's a 10 episode drama, but each episode is only 25-30 min in length which makes the decision to watch way less of a commitment.
Ultimately Homecoming wasn't worth it. Not terrible, but not good enough.

Anyway, I watched the first episode of Narcos: Mexico. It's shaping up nicely. I expect it to follow similar beats as the past seasons which isn't a bad thing.
Oh snap, I didn't know that the season had even dropped. Last I heard, it was still in hiatus after the murder of someone from the crew.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Michael wrote:Hulu is a dollar a month for a year right now. That's a crazy good value.
Took the site forever when I was trying to sign up, but eventually got through. Probably took 45 minutes.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

per usual conans japan episode was enjoyable/fun (to me at least) but, of course, this interaction with jordan was the highlight of episode. and honestly, this may now be my favorite segment of them. i literally couldn't breathe when i watched this last night. been waiting for it to pop up on youtube

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
Michael wrote:Hulu is a dollar a month for a year right now. That's a crazy good value.
Took the site forever when I was trying to sign up, but eventually got through. Probably took 45 minutes.
Let me right in actually...but man...the commercials! So, so many!! It’s 99 cents so I’m not gonna complain the first year, but def will not renew after that (I may end up paying for the huge commercial free one, if I end up liking it)

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Other than the ads I'm really enjoying Hulu. I really like their animated selection when I'm, uh, not sober. Rick and Morty is particularly good. I'm also finding Brooklyn 99 is an easy show to watch.

I'm really looking forward to trying Fargo and Atlanta as well.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Jocephus wrote:per usual conans japan episode was enjoyable/fun (to me at least) but, of course, this interaction with jordan was the highlight of episode. and honestly, this may now be my favorite segment of them. i literally couldn't breathe when i watched this last night. been waiting for it to pop up on youtube

I don't think anything will ever top that first one where they have dinner at an Italian restaurant.

Have you heard Conan's podcast? He's great longform as a guest, but so far the pacing of his pod seems too jokey and similar to the way he is on TV, which seems to defeat the purpose a bit.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

haltz wrote:
Jocephus wrote:per usual conans japan episode was enjoyable/fun (to me at least) but, of course, this interaction with jordan was the highlight of episode. and honestly, this may now be my favorite segment of them. i literally couldn't breathe when i watched this last night. been waiting for it to pop up on youtube

I don't think anything will ever top that first one where they have dinner at an Italian restaurant.

Have you heard Conan's podcast? He's great longform as a guest, but so far the pacing of his pod seems too jokey and similar to the way he is on TV, which seems to defeat the purpose a bit.
that is true, the italian restaurant is probably the best, probably because conan is drunk on red wine hah. i think it's that burn he gets at the end with "MACKIO"'s help. i love when conan is saying "it was hawaii!" as he struggles to speak over laughter.

i listened to the ferrell one and enjoyed it 'cause those guys go back a long ways (they even talked scrub a dub!) but i get what you mean about the pacing. maybe that'll iron out as he does more.
[SHOW]

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

Michael wrote:Other than the ads I'm really enjoying Hulu. I really like their animated selection when I'm, uh, not sober. Rick and Morty is particularly good. I'm also finding Brooklyn 99 is an easy show to watch.

I'm really looking forward to trying Fargo and Atlanta as well.
Maybe not worth it to you if you got the $1/month deal, but to me it's totally worth $11.99 for the no commercials plan. I [expletive] hate commercials. Of course, I'm a cord cutter who uses his sister's Netflix account, so my monthly TV viewing costs are extremely low.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Michael wrote:I watched the The Last Kingdom series on netflix. It's a Game of Throneish show about the battles between the Anglo-Saxons and the Danes in England during 9th century AD. It isn't historically accurate but it does include some real historical figures and I think it's interesting to see the 9th century time period depicted on film. The show isn't perfect, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Surprisingly my wife enjoyed it too.
I just finished season 3 of The Last Kingdom. My earlier post here still stands. It's a very solid show.