GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently November 11 19, 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7852 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 765, 766, 767, 768, 769, 770, 771 ... 786  Next
PostPosted: May 16 19, 1:20 pm 
Hall Of Famer

CardsofSTL wrote:

I'm worried we're headed for a world of about 20-30 CBS All Accesses.

Then they won't release on DVD and these shows are just lost once some of the services go under.

PostPosted: May 16 19, 1:23 pm 
99% conan clips

i think we're basically there. once netflix loses a few more licenses i'll discontinue them and then just not bother with any of 'em.

PostPosted: May 16 19, 2:12 pm 
All Hail the New GDT Master

ghostrunner wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:

Then they won't release on DVD and these shows are just lost once some of the services go under.

Eventually you'll probably have to subscribe to a service that offers CBS, Disney, Hulu, etc for a flat fee which will then turn into the new cable or satellite packages where you get a bunch of junk you don't want just to have access to a couple of shows. I have CBS for Star Trek only... The rest of what I watch on there I wouldn't miss.

PostPosted: May 17 19, 8:05 am 
99% conan clips

PostPosted: May 22 19, 7:30 am 
"I could totally eat a person if it were a life/death situation"

IMADreamer wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Anyone watch the first part of the Chernobyl Mini-Series on HBO?

I did. I thought it was great. I actually watched it twice. They did a great job of being suspenseful but not being a cliche disaster show. I've always been interested in the Chernobyl disaster and this really hits home how intense it was.

Me too, on all accounts.

Back in high school, in the 90s, I did a research paper on the disaster and at the time I remember being confused by conflicting information. This was back before the internet/google really took off so all my research had to come from the public library. And, iirc there were like 5 books at the library on the topic and seemingly they all reported separate things. The only consistent part was the scheduled test that called for the turbines to shut off. And, because they did shut the turbines down, the lack of power led to the catastrophe. There was also a lot of information that at the time (probably still today) went right over my head regarding the reactors design and how that contributed to the disaster.

Regardless, by the time I realized that the information I had conflicted and there was some information I just simply couldn't understand, I'd invested too much time to change subjects so just went ahead with the info that made sense and was consistent. But, I've always been interested in the topic and tried to understand it better.

The first episode started at the point right after the explosion, so it appears they aren't going to get into the actual cause which is fine because it would probably put most people to sleep. And, the immediate aftermath is something that I to be honest had given little thought to. No idea how realistic it is but the cinematography of the reactor burning and spewing a radioactive death plume into the air is mesmerizing.
spoilers from the 2nd episode.
Spoiler: show
Was glad they basically just followed Legaslov around in episode 2. Seemingly the only guy willing to stand up and tell people the truth regardless of how badly they don't want to hear it. Hopefully that continues throughout the series since it is his confessional. The scene where the general or whoever comes back after getting the radioactive readings showing they're at 15,000 instead of...3 was great. Basically proving Legaslov correct which you want to see but also knowing that's incredibly terrible news. And the secretary guy immediately telling him to piss off and go away and then realizing, huh, better keep him around. Then Legaslov making a huge [expletive] up only to later be corrected by that lady. Of course the draining of the tanks is being built up to beyond what it was, but whatever.

This is exactly the type of stuff HBO excels at. I've been looking forward to it since it was announced. And it is not disappointing.

There is a companion podcast with the series too where one of the npr guys is talking to the writer. He said in a later episode they discuss the physics behind what happened.

BTW the ending of ep 2 was horrifying. Holy crap.

This show continues to deliver. I get the feeling Ep 2 will be my favorite, but Ep 3 was great in its own way.

Picking up where they left off, it shows the divers successfully completing the mission. Like a lot of other topics, there's uncertainty as to the fates of the three divers varying from death within weeks to 2 of them still being alive today and one dying in 2005 to a heart attack.

It's not often a show or movie can make me queasy, but the bodies/faces of the ARP victims did just that. Along with Legaslov's description of what happens, that was really difficult to see. And, apparently not only is their physical representation realistic, so too is the accounts the two plant operators actions. To their death they insisted they did nothing wrong and followed protocol.

This was kind of hinted at in the podcast, but when scientist lady tells Legaslov they claim the reactor blew up when they hit the emergency shut down button, Legaslov immediately recalls something but doesn't tell her. Dunno if I can spoiler within a spoiler but don't read this part if you want the cause to be a surprise....

I think we'll come to find out he knew that a mineral/compound that was part of the control rod would cause an instantaneous spike in the temperature of the reactor before cooling it down. And, that spike is what caused the explosion.

One thing I could do without is the involvement of the KGB. I just assume they're everywhere. Hell, every western power probably was doing everything in their power to use this as a way to get insight into the Rusky's nuclear knowledge. But, the arrest of the scientist lady - a fictional character - solely to include the KGB seems rather superflous.

Every scene with the miners, sans the one where the guy peacocks his way up to Scherbina and Legaslov, was magnificent.

PostPosted: May 22 19, 10:49 am 
has a link from 538 to share

I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson on netflix is a hilarious sketch comedy show. There's only 6 episodes and each one is roughly 15 minutes. It's an easy and fun show to watch. I recommend it.

Has this ever happened to you?!?!

PostPosted: May 22 19, 10:52 am 
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Michael wrote:
I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson on netflix is a hilarious sketch comedy show. There's only 6 episodes and each one is roughly 15 minutes. It's an easy and fun show to watch. I recommend it.

PostPosted: May 22 19, 11:02 am 
has a link from 538 to share

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
Michael wrote:

The show has so many quotable moments. I kinda feel like my initial post undersells how much I enjoyed it. I've watched most sketches 2x.

PostPosted: May 23 19, 2:39 pm 
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Watch The Unauthorized Bash Brothers Experience.

Amazing.

On Netflix.

PostPosted: May 24 19, 10:52 am 
All-Star

ghostrunner wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:

If there was one service where you could get everything and pay a set fee, it would be the most popular thing ever. There's no way I'm paying CBS All Access money for one damn show.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7852 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 765, 766, 767, 768, 769, 770, 771 ... 786  Next