GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently April 25 19, 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Asheville, NC
PostPosted: October 14 15, 10:07 am 
Offline
Perennial All-Star
User avatar

Joined: April 17 06, 10:50 am
Posts: 4746
Location: Columbia, MO
UK wrote:
Hungary Jack wrote:
I am headed there with Mrs. Jack for a long weekend. Any hiking and brewpub recommendations would be greatly appreciated.


If you're driving from the West, take the "tail of the dragon", it's a long and winding road with amazing views. Also, nearby in Robbinsville, NC is the Joyce Kilmer Forest (The Fugitive movie fans will recognize the Dam).It's the mist difficult day hike I have done. If you fly into Asheville, it's too far east.

And here we run into the issue of bumping old threads: the long weekend in question happened 6 years ago. Sounds like excellent advice, though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Asheville, NC
PostPosted: October 28 15, 6:03 am 
Offline
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Posts: 23383
Location: St. Louis
Not enough time for it all. Weather -rainy and cold- so mostly just walked to places downtown, and south slope. Tim, we didn't make it to Salsa but every bartender recommended it. Biscuithead for breakfast in West Asheville. White Duck Taco. Chestnut for dinner (right across the street, so location)

Lots of beer drinking. Had a flight of sours at Wicked Weed Funkatorium -liked them but have decided sours are not for me. Green Man brewery Wiener Pilz was an excellent beer. Hit about 5 breweries, liked them all. Burial Brewery, that was another good one. They are all like, across the street from each other and every where you turn, to the point of almost being funny.


I am coming back to this place, with some time to get into the hills. Good vibe, easy, every body enjoying it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Asheville, NC
PostPosted: October 29 15, 6:10 pm 
Offline
Consider him admonished
User avatar

Joined: March 25 15, 9:59 am
Posts: 7879
Location: Charleston, SC via Arkansas
Right on. Check it out next time. The beer drinking in Asheville really is phenomenal. I believe we will be back in January.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Asheville, NC
PostPosted: October 29 15, 6:30 pm 
Offline
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Posts: 23383
Location: St. Louis
Tim wrote:
Right on. Check it out next time. The beer drinking in Asheville really is phenomenal. I believe we will be back in January.

Spur of the moment we drove down to Greenville SC to meet some friends-only there a few hours but another cool looking town. Will upload a pic of waterfall in middle of town, with recent rains it was roaring.

We started heading home to StL from there and we were about pass by Asheville and sun came out and shined upon the sign pointing to the big Sierra Nevada brewery. So we pulled in -a couple beers and a few phone calls home and we were staying another night.

Was skeptical of the big California brewery in NC. But what a palace of beer porn. The Playboy mansion of beer. Its on an estate in the foothills. A big outdoor area to drink beer at.

Since there another night, also stopped at Thirsty Monk. Beer really filled me up, so finished the evening drinking coffee in the Double Decker bus that says Trafalgar Square (to send pics to the kids).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Asheville, NC
PostPosted: October 29 15, 7:21 pm 
Offline
Consider him admonished
User avatar

Joined: March 25 15, 9:59 am
Posts: 7879
Location: Charleston, SC via Arkansas
Freed Roger wrote:
Tim wrote:
Right on. Check it out next time. The beer drinking in Asheville really is phenomenal. I believe we will be back in January.

Spur of the moment we drove down to Greenville SC to meet some friends-only there a few hours but another cool looking town. Will upload a pic of waterfall in middle of town, with recent rains it was roaring.

We started heading home to StL from there and we were about pass by Asheville and sun came out and shined upon the sign pointing to the big Sierra Nevada brewery. So we pulled in -a couple beers and a few phone calls home and we were staying another night.

Was skeptical of the big California brewery in NC. But what a palace of beer porn. The Playboy mansion of beer. Its on an estate in the foothills. A big outdoor area to drink beer at.

Since there another night, also stopped at Thirsty Monk. Beer really filled me up, so finished the evening drinking coffee in the Double Decker bus that says Trafalgar Square (to send pics to the kids).

I love thirsty monk.

Greenville is a really nice city. Fantastic little downtown area. We were there two weekends ago for Clemson v BC.

The jewel of the region is obviously where I reside, Charleston, but that is a trek from the upstate.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Asheville, NC
PostPosted: October 30 15, 9:59 am 
Offline
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Posts: 23383
Location: St. Louis
Show and tell time.

The Biscuithead I had a brisket biscuit. they offer at least 7 kinds of gravy. come on.

Spoiler: show
Roaring falls in downtown Greenville SC
Image

And on to Sierra Nevada - I probably prefer the smaller brewery setups that abound in town and the area - beer more unique and chill atmosphere. However was glad we opted for tourist trip to a monument of Beer Age capitalism, over the Biltmore -Guilded Age.

The grounds are crazy - pass thru pearly gates, wind up road and arrive at the front.

Image

Image

Image

Image
outdoor scene - amphitheater for live acts. A trail to wander around, that they are continuing down to a stream and mtn lake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Asheville, NC
PostPosted: October 30 15, 10:27 am 
Online
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: May 4 06, 8:44 am
Posts: 16866
Freed Roger wrote:
Show and tell time.

The Biscuithead I had a brisket biscuit. they offer at least 7 kinds of gravy. come on.

Spoiler: show
Roaring falls in downtown Greenville SC
Image

And on to Sierra Nevada - I probably prefer the smaller brewery setups that abound in town and the area - beer more unique and chill atmosphere. However was glad we opted for tourist trip to a monument of Beer Age capitalism, over the Biltmore -Guilded Age.

The grounds are crazy - pass thru pearly gates, wind up road and arrive at the front.

Image

Image

Image

Image
outdoor scene - amphitheater for live acts. A trail to wander around, that they are continuing down to a stream and mtn lake.


wow, beautiful


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Asheville, NC
PostPosted: October 30 15, 11:17 am 
Offline
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Posts: 23383
Location: St. Louis
Kind of random: A generalization I picked up on in reading about the area - local historians & other people feel like there is a misconception of Appalachia as being historically dirt poor/backwards- a bunch of hillbillies -from the great depression era, and especially the 1960s LBJ era.

It seems like the American TV and camera lens tuned into the poor Appalachia stereotype at the worst time - after decades of mining had wreaked havoc on the land and it's people, and at a time when the nation was into shiny new things -space age, highways, Suburbia, shopping malls, processed foods, and magic pills to make all healthy etcetera,: roads are built and here we all see this place and people that are not like the rest of us. [run-on sentence, in honor of Asheville author Thomas Wolfe]

Claim is now made that these people were rich in other ways- living within means, living off the land, music and culture.
In some ways, Appalachia was hipster before hipster. Beards. Flannel. Local-sourced everything. Moonshine and whatever you can get away with in the corners.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Asheville, NC
PostPosted: April 18 16, 2:53 pm 
Offline
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Posts: 23383
Location: St. Louis
well, there goes Freed family integrity -we are going back. We will flip the bird to the crooked bigots as we hike paddle and drink beer

Mrs Freed was dragging her feet about going and I had to admit that the Missouri political stance is bassackwards too, maybe even worse..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Asheville, NC
PostPosted: April 19 16, 5:52 pm 
Offline
Consider him admonished
User avatar

Joined: March 25 15, 9:59 am
Posts: 7879
Location: Charleston, SC via Arkansas
Freed Roger wrote:
well, there goes Freed family integrity -we are going back. We will flip the bird to the crooked bigots as we hike paddle and drink beer

Mrs Freed was dragging her feet about going and I had to admit that the Missouri political stance is bassackwards too, maybe even worse..

Again. I can't recommend enough.

http://salsasnc.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group