Outer Space Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Re: Outer Space Thread

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Why those three pyramids? Why not one of the dozens of others? And even those hand-picked three don't really match, either.

The whole nonsense with this (I could talk about it all day, it's one of my favourite topics to read about) is that we can see how the pyramids developed. There's unfinished ones and collapsed ones all over the place, giving us ample knowledge of how the society built them, how it learned from its mistakes, and so on. It appears to be something weird only if you ignore all the huge amount of work done by people on the subject - and Egyptology is learning and refining its theories all the time as they find new stuff too.

I really enjoyed this book, which goes through the very early history of "Egypt" to the time of the great Pyramids (part 2 is due out in a month or so).

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I just used tose three because theyre the most widely known. And yes Egyptologists have given a lot of insight but havent come close to giving a full picture from what ive seen which im sure isnt as much as mortimer.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

LIGO Detects Fierce Collision of Neutron Stars for the First Time
Astronomers announced on Monday that they had seen and heard a pair of dead stars collide, giving them their first glimpse of the violent process by which most of the gold and silver in the universe was created.

The collision, known as a kilonova, rattled the galaxy in which it happened 130 million light years from here in the southern constellation of Hydra, and sent fireworks across the universe. On Aug. 17, the event set off sensors in space and on Earth, as well as producing a loud chirp in antennas designed to study ripples in the cosmic fabric. It sent astronomers stampeding to their telescopes, in hopes of answering one of the long-sought mysteries of the universe.
For the researchers, this is in some ways an even bigger bonanza than the original discovery. This is the first time they have discovered anything that regular astronomers could see and study. All of LIGO’s previous discoveries have involved colliding black holes, which are composed of empty tortured space-time — there is nothing for the eye or the telescope to see.

But neutron stars are full of stuff, matter packed at the density of Mount Everest in a teaspoon. When neutron stars slam together, all kinds of things burst out: gamma rays, X-rays, radio waves. Something for everyone who has a window on the sky.
This article has a pretty cool gif:

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

that is awesome

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

fake news

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

What's more troubling? This UFO stuff that has been researched and vetted by the NYT or how much our Navy's pilots say "bro" and "dude" in heightened, stressful situations?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/us/p ... -reid.html

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

thrill wrote:What's more troubling? This UFO stuff that has been researched and vetted by the NYT or how much our Navy's pilots say "bro" and "dude" in heightened, stressful situations?

Is it just me, or is this going completely under reported? Two FA-18 navy pilots watching UFOs doing things that are indescribable.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
thrill wrote:What's more troubling? This UFO stuff that has been researched and vetted by the NYT or how much our Navy's pilots say "bro" and "dude" in heightened, stressful situations?

Is it just me, or is this going completely under reported? Two FA-18 navy pilots watching UFOs doing things that are indescribable.
If by under reported you mean the fact that aliens are creating global warming to terraform our planet to their liking before they invade an exterminate us, then yes.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

G. Keenan wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:

If by under reported you mean the fact that aliens are creating global warming to terraform our planet to their liking before they invade an exterminate us, then yes.

NO idea how to posts gifs anymore apparently

https://media.giphy.com/media/OK27wINdQS5YQ/giphy.gif