GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently January 20 19, 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: Outer Space Thread
PostPosted: February 24 17, 4:49 pm 
All-Star

Why those three pyramids? Why not one of the dozens of others? And even those hand-picked three don't really match, either.

The whole nonsense with this (I could talk about it all day, it's one of my favourite topics to read about) is that we can see how the pyramids developed. There's unfinished ones and collapsed ones all over the place, giving us ample knowledge of how the society built them, how it learned from its mistakes, and so on. It appears to be something weird only if you ignore all the huge amount of work done by people on the subject - and Egyptology is learning and refining its theories all the time as they find new stuff too.

I really enjoyed this book, which goes through the very early history of "Egypt" to the time of the great Pyramids (part 2 is due out in a month or so).

PostPosted: February 24 17, 6:04 pm 
"I could totally eat a person if it were a life/death situation"

I just used tose three because theyre the most widely known. And yes Egyptologists have given a lot of insight but havent come close to giving a full picture from what ive seen which im sure isnt as much as mortimer.

PostPosted: April 24 17, 9:46 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Hubble zooms into Omega Centauri, a massive stellar city packing 5 million stars into a diameter of 200-light years! - A density 10,000 greater than we see in our own night sky.

PostPosted: October 16 17, 9:02 pm 
Hall Of Famer

LIGO Detects Fierce Collision of Neutron Stars for the First Time
Quote:
Astronomers announced on Monday that they had seen and heard a pair of dead stars collide, giving them their first glimpse of the violent process by which most of the gold and silver in the universe was created.

The collision, known as a kilonova, rattled the galaxy in which it happened 130 million light years from here in the southern constellation of Hydra, and sent fireworks across the universe. On Aug. 17, the event set off sensors in space and on Earth, as well as producing a loud chirp in antennas designed to study ripples in the cosmic fabric. It sent astronomers stampeding to their telescopes, in hopes of answering one of the long-sought mysteries of the universe.
Quote:
For the researchers, this is in some ways an even bigger bonanza than the original discovery. This is the first time they have discovered anything that regular astronomers could see and study. All of LIGO’s previous discoveries have involved colliding black holes, which are composed of empty tortured space-time — there is nothing for the eye or the telescope to see.

But neutron stars are full of stuff, matter packed at the density of Mount Everest in a teaspoon. When neutron stars slam together, all kinds of things burst out: gamma rays, X-rays, radio waves. Something for everyone who has a window on the sky.

This article has a pretty cool gif:

PostPosted: October 17 17, 7:15 am 
-go birds

that is awesome

PostPosted: October 17 17, 7:23 am 
Hall Of Famer

fake news

PostPosted: December 18 17, 1:27 pm 
bronoun enthusiast

What's more troubling? This UFO stuff that has been researched and vetted by the NYT or how much our Navy's pilots say "bro" and "dude" in heightened, stressful situations?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/us/p ... -reid.html

PostPosted: December 19 17, 1:37 pm 

thrill wrote:
What's more troubling? This UFO stuff that has been researched and vetted by the NYT or how much our Navy's pilots say "bro" and "dude" in heightened, stressful situations?

Is it just me, or is this going completely under reported? Two FA-18 navy pilots watching UFOs doing things that are indescribable.

PostPosted: December 19 17, 5:10 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
thrill wrote:

Is it just me, or is this going completely under reported? Two FA-18 navy pilots watching UFOs doing things that are indescribable.

If by under reported you mean the fact that aliens are creating global warming to terraform our planet to their liking before they invade an exterminate us, then yes.

PostPosted: December 19 17, 5:18 pm 

G. Keenan wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
thrill wrote:

If by under reported you mean the fact that aliens are creating global warming to terraform our planet to their liking before they invade an exterminate us, then yes.

NO idea how to posts gifs anymore apparently

https://media.giphy.com/media/OK27wINdQS5YQ/giphy.gif

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next