GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 18 19, 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 579 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: First world problems
PostPosted: October 16 18, 2:16 pm 
tl;dr

Michael wrote:
I might do some cell phone shopping at well. The USB connector on my phone got a bit mangled so the charging is spotty right now and I'm worried it'll get worse. I plan to shop for a new phone on black friday for deals. I'm mostly eyeing mid-tier Motorola phones with vanilla Android.

The Motorola G6 is definitely in the running for me with its near stock Android. One of the things I really liked about the review of the Nokia 6.1 that I read was that it has just straight up vanilla Android and Pie is on the way most likely in November.

I just don't know if I can hold out until black Friday deals with the current state of my battery but that is a good idea and I'm going to try. We'll see if I can make it that far without resorting to carrying around a battery pack that's plugged into the phone at all times.

PostPosted: October 17 18, 8:48 am 
tl;dr

For some stupid reason I grabbed the charger from my desk last night and then forgot to bring it back to work this morning when I switched things over to a different laptop bag. I realized this as I was on the bus heading to work and figured I would just have to keep my phone off all day in case I needed it on my way home tonight and turned my phone off right then.

Then inspiration struck. After I got off of the bus to hop on the train at the Central West End I remembered that hospitals have gift shops with stuff like that in them. Since I had the time I ran into Barnes, found the gift shop and they have regular USB to Type-C cables for $6.99 out the door. I should have bought a couple. I might actually stop in there again tonight or tomorrow morning and get more of them just to have plenty of spares. I was expecting to pay a lot more. The cost there was way less than what I paid for the last cable I bought at a CVS.

PostPosted: October 17 18, 8:55 am 
All Hail the New GDT Master

tlombard wrote:
For some stupid reason I grabbed the charger from my desk last night and then forgot to bring it back to work this morning when I switched things over to a different laptop bag. I realized this as I was on the bus heading to work and figured I would just have to keep my phone off all day in case I needed it on my way home tonight and turned my phone off right then.

Then inspiration struck. After I got off of the bus to hop on the train at the Central West End I remembered that hospitals have gift shops with stuff like that in them. Since I had the time I ran into Barnes, found the gift shop and they have regular USB to Type-C cables for $6.99 out the door. I should have bought a couple. I might actually stop in there again tonight or tomorrow morning and get more of them just to have plenty of spares. I was expecting to pay a lot more. The cost there was way less than what I paid for the last cable I bought at a CVS.

Don't buy cables at CVS and you won't be as impressed with hospital gift shops.

PostPosted: October 17 18, 11:56 am 
Perennial All-Star

people die at hospitals all the time...just take one off a dead person; they're not using it anymore

PostPosted: October 17 18, 12:30 pm 
likes to grate his own cheese

cardsfantx wrote:
people die at hospitals all the time...just take one off a dead person; they're not using it anymore

More good advice from GRB

PostPosted: October 17 18, 12:41 pm 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

tlombard wrote:

There's this online bookstore thing called amazon.com where you can select from about 20,000 varieties of USB cables in a wide range of costs, and they'll deliver it to your house in like 2 days.

PostPosted: October 17 18, 12:53 pm 
tl;dr

The problem is that I needed a cable between where I was and the office. Until Amazon can get me a cable within a couple of hours I will still have to go into a physical location to make purchases from time to time. I have ordered cables from Amazon in the past. Sometimes you just need something right away though.

The correct answer to my charging/cable issues is obviously to buy a new phone that will last more than three hours on a full charge. I thought I could get longer out of the phone once it started to decline but then it went downhill really fast. I'm trying to hang on until we get closer to Black Friday to see what kind of deals are out there then.

Basically I'm cheap and don't want to spend a few hundred on a phone so I am trying to delay it as long as possible until I can get a stupidly good deal. That cheapness and stupidity cost me a couple of bucks here and there for sure.

PostPosted: October 17 18, 12:54 pm 
All Hail the New GDT Master

Drone delivery is coming

PostPosted: October 17 18, 1:33 pm 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

I was more speaking to dropping by again to buy more spare cables.

PostPosted: October 17 18, 1:42 pm 
tl;dr

Popeye_Card wrote:
I was more speaking to dropping by again to buy more spare cables.

See, I told you I'm an idiot!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 579 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next