Cutting the Cable/Satellite Cord

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Re: Cutting the Cable/Satellite Cord

Post by Fat Strat »

docellis wrote:I had success with proxies, but it is a huge pain in the ass because you have to find a new one each game. Rarely does the same one work twice.

I have generally subscribed to cable from game one of 162 until the Cards were eliminated. It sucks, because literally every single thing I want to watch I can get without cable.

But, this is part of the reason there are these GIANT television deals (aka, angels tv deal, dodgers tv deal). It is a rare commodity. People will pay to watch live, and here are hundreds of games to watch. Not many other tv programs like it.

If it is offered a la carte or thru smart tv's or apple tv, roku etc...those humongous deals change.
What sucks for me is that I can't get cable. We're on the last street in a newer development and cable only reaches to the 2nd to last street. They won't take cable to our street despite all my efforts to get it. The good news is that I managed to put my account with DirecTV on hold for up to 6 months. That might be what I have to do. I can activate it anytime and should be able to negotiate a much lower rate. Then when baseball season is over, I can suspend it again and avoid having to sign a new contract if I just canceled my service. It's working out about as well as I could hope, I guess.

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

Fat Strat wrote:What sucks for me is that I can't get cable. We're on the last street in a newer development and cable only reaches to the 2nd to last street. They won't take cable to our street despite all my efforts to get it. The good news is that I managed to put my account with DirecTV on hold for up to 6 months. That might be what I have to do. I can activate it anytime and should be able to negotiate a much lower rate. Then when baseball season is over, I can suspend it again and avoid having to sign a new contract if I just canceled my service. It's working out about as well as I could hope, I guess.
I am buying a new house next month and I will have to deal with this also. My current house has "free cable". And I literally only use it during baseball season.

My next house will require me screwing with anonymous proxies or buying cable. It makes me really mad. I have no interest in cable offerings at all. Except the local baseball team.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

You could try a basic dish package with a sports add-on. I'm not sure how Dish Network breaks out there programming, but their basic package is only $20-$30 per month for the first year or two. I'm assuming that you could add a sports package to that and get FSM. After you complete your contract, you could go do what I'm doing and just suspend your account during the offseason. You might even be able to do that during that contract period so long as you didn't cancel your service. If you locked in to Dish Network then you would save quite a bit over DirecTV. DirecTV is better. They offer you a lot more, but you have to pay for it. Dish is cheap, but you don't get much. For your needs, I would think that Dish would be the way to go and I think you would save some money over a cable package. The dish companies seem to be very willing to work with you, offer you discounts, and do everything they can to keep you as a costumer.

docellis

Post by docellis »

Yeah that is what I am probably going to do. The new house has a satellite on the roof.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I don't have anything and the only thing I miss is sports.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Post by TimeForGuinness »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:I don't have anything and the only thing I miss is sports.
There are drinking establishments that show sports.

...I'm about to cut the cable.

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:I don't have anything and the only thing I miss is sports.
I don't even miss sports with MLB TV and NHL Gamecenter. If there's a "big" game worth seeing, I'm at a bar or a buddy's place.

Added an Apple TV to the arsenal last week, so between that and the PS3, I get everything I want.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Big news, cord cutters. HBO Go can be purchased separately from premium cable subscriptions in some markets: http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/10/cord-c ... d-markets/

A promising first step.

docellis

Post by docellis »

So I bought a smart tv and moved the roku to the bedroom tv.

I bought one that was well reviewed, a samsung.

I swear the lag/buffering makes it almost unwatchable. Roku rarely lags.

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

docellis wrote:So I bought a smart tv and moved the roku to the bedroom tv.

I bought one that was well reviewed, a samsung.

I swear the lag/buffering makes it almost unwatchable. Roku rarely lags.
Similar story. Started using the Roku when I cut the cable cord and loved it. Then, when my DVD player went out, bought a Blu-ray player for the first time, and it was wifi ready with all of the internet video services loaded on there. But it is sooo slooooowwww compared to the roku. Problem is my TV is kind of oldish and only has one HDMI port, and I was too lazy to switch the cables back and forth depending on what I'm watching. Finally decided [expletive] it though - couldn't handle the lag of the DVD player anymore. Went back to the roku and it's like lightning.