Cutting the Cable/Satellite Cord

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Re: Cutting the Cable/Satellite Cord

Post by docellis »

cardsfansince82 wrote:For the past couple years I've gotten cable October-March for baseball playoffs, college/pro football, and college/pro basketball. I cancel it April-September and get mlb.tv and netflix to catch up on movies and shows.
I used to get it from April to October for baseball and then cancel it basically the last day the cards play.
But I have free (basic-ish) cable now and I really only watch Walking Dead, Tosh.0 and the morning news.

Speaking of the morning news, this morning there was a big fire in East St. Louis and Channel 2 interviewed the guy who escaped from the abandoned, burning house. This was his quote "I got my rock, my beer and my dog and got out of there"

Numbers
Perennial All-Star

Post by Numbers »

2 years. I actually enjoy catching up on series like Lost that I didn't watch the first go round. I might give Mad Men a try next. Netflix did tick me off about a month ago though. They put Coach (Craig T. Nelson) on for about 24 hours and then pulled him back off. they do that kind of crap a little too often

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I think I could do it. The fiance on the other hand, probably not. I use the AppleTV a heck of a lot more than she does. So I'm stuck with DirecTV.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

Wait. What? Your getting hitched? Congratulations are in order. So congratulations.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

cards2468 wrote:
Secret Weapon wrote:unfortunately living in st louis, the only way to watch local sporting events is to have cable
Or have friends with cable or go to bars a lot
Just for NFL season that could get more expensive than cable.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

i never could get rid of it (satellite)

i live in an area that only has att dsl for internet service...no cable company, fios, uverse, anything. and i have the fastest dsl service, but on it's best days only is about 2.75 mbps...most of the times it hovers around 1.25. and it goes out 1-2 times per week.

so i'll always have directv. not to mention we always have a couple tvs on for background noise and such and it'd be a pain in the ass to keep starting shows on netflix/hulu. we have them, and use them...but the quality/speed isn't great to use it all of the time. it's creepy to me to go to someones house and not hear tv's on in the background...we don't live in the 1800's.

i'm not going to spend .99 per episode of house hunters and crap like that, and that's what's on most of the time.

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

I dumped ATT internet because it was about the same speed as yours...Nflix streaming would rebuffer every 3 minutes. With Charter I'm getting around 30 down.

82's idea of 6 on/6 off is appealing.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

I've got the Comast Triple Play - TV, phone, internet. Need the phone & internet for work and since I'm on the computer all day, it's nice having the boob tube there when I want to just sit and veg at the end of the day.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

I really think not having cable has been good for me. Between Netflix, Hulu, and projectfree.tv I can follow all the quality tv shows I want. Without cable there isn't the temptation to just sit there wasting away the hours channel surfing. Instead I'll read a book, listen to NPR, clean the house, or something more productive. Another thing I don't miss is the constant commercial bombardment you get with cable.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Post by TimeForGuinness »

I'd love to cut the cord, but I love sports.

I wish MLB/NHL/NFL/whatever would ditch the blackout rules, push it out on the web, and let me pay for their product.