Cutting the Cable/Satellite Cord

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: Cutting the Cable/Satellite Cord

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

TimeForGuinness wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
TimeForGuinness wrote:About ready to cut the cord...anyone use Sling TV?
I think we've discussed it a little on here. When it first rolled out (when I used it) it was terrible for the big events like march madness and the buffering made it pretty much useless.
Understood...what about Playstation Vue?
Never used it.

ndistops
All-Star

Post by ndistops »

I've never used Vue, but have monitored its feedback because I might get it someday. Consensus seems to be it's mostly very good although some parts of the UI (guide, for instance) are clunky.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Post by TimeForGuinness »

ndistops wrote:I've never used Vue, but have monitored its feedback because I might get it someday. Consensus seems to be it's mostly very good although some parts of the UI (guide, for instance) are clunky.
That seems to be a critique of Sling as well...I'll probably try Sling first

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Bumping this thread because we're about to do this.

I've been looking at Hulu plus live TV. Anyone using this or trying it? $39.99 a month for what is essentially a streaming cable package. Most importantly, it has DVR and FSN. My main question is about MLB blackout restrictions. I am assuming that I will get FSMW and the Cards games since I am firmly in their viewing area, but I haven't found a way to confirm that. A trial period would do it, but I thought I would ask here for help or alternatives before I started the trial.

https://www.hulu.com/live-tv

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Fat Strat wrote:Bumping this thread because we're about to do this.

I've been looking at Hulu plus live TV. Anyone using this or trying it? $39.99 a month for what is essentially a streaming cable package. Most importantly, it has DVR and FSN. My main question is about MLB blackout restrictions. I am assuming that I will get FSMW and the Cards games since I am firmly in their viewing area, but I haven't found a way to confirm that. A trial period would do it, but I thought I would ask here for help or alternatives before I started the trial.

https://www.hulu.com/live-tv
Yes
This is what I have.
I get every Braves game as they are in my viewing area. You should have no issues getting the Cards.

Yesterday was the first time that I have been disappointed with it. I can't get Better Call Saul.

I have been very impressed with Hulu Live. I'm sure you will too.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

The only reason I haven't tried Hulu's option is that they seem to require much higher connection speeds to actually stream anything. That isn't a problem at home but I like to stream stuff to a tablet away from home and that just isn't possible with Hulu. Even if it starts, it will just constantly freeze on me. On the other hand, I can stream YouTube TV all day without any issues using my phone as a hotspot at a high quality.

I tried streaming a movie from Hulu a few months ago (I do have regular Hulu) on the train from Chicago to Boston and it just would not work at all. I had no problems with YouTube TV the entire way though so I was able to catch up on a lot of stuff I had recorded there.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I've been using Sling to pick up things I can't get on basic Hulu and Netflix (would otherwise have to torrent) and it's been working well. Had a better mix of channels for me than YouTube and HuluPlus. It does the job mostly, but i often get issues when trying to stream channels live. The cloud DVR and on demand features tend to work better.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

It is great that we actually have choices with streaming unlike actual cable where I can get Charter or nothing in my apartment.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

tlombard wrote:I tried streaming a movie from Hulu a few months ago (I do have regular Hulu) on the train from Chicago to Boston and it just would not work at all. I had no problems with YouTube TV the entire way though so I was able to catch up on a lot of stuff I had recorded there.
As an aside, a lot of streaming services like netflix and youtube have a feature that allows you to download programs/movies in advance so you can watch them offline. It's a really nice feature when you're traveling.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Hulu announced the ability to download to watch offline is coming back in May but I still haven't seen it. That will make me very happy when it finally comes. Sadly I doubt that ever happens with YouTube TV but that would be really nice.