Cutting the Cable/Satellite Cord

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: Cutting the Cable/Satellite Cord

Post by lukethedrifter »

so with mlb you local peeps are able to do a workaround and watch Cards games?

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

lukethedrifter wrote:so with mlb you local peeps are able to do a workaround and watch Cards games?
https://hola.org/

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

lukethedrifter wrote:so with mlb you local peeps are able to do a workaround and watch Cards games?
My friend pays 4.95 pm for this
https://unlocator.com/

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

haltz, am i wasting $5/mo for unblock-us? I've heard hola has had issues in the past.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Schlich wrote:haltz, am i wasting $5/mo for unblock-us? I've heard hola has had issues in the past.
Last year I used to have to re-enter my pw, try to access from multiple different countries, and I'd get kicked off every once in a while. Hasn't happened once this year.

Maybe they realized that it isn't in their interest to stop anyone from watching the games. My account has multiple IPs watching the game from all over the world with an STL-based credit card at the helm. It's pretty ridiculous, really.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

With cutting the cord, cable, internet streaming-all these variables- sounds like the Wild West of media viewing (or whatever the term is). Where is all this heading?

I am obviously not too up things, but I sense something will change in the market for this - this current hodgepodge of streaming arrangements, borrowed passwords,antennas - this can't be the future. Won't their be a few major providers, doing the same thing with one stop shopping.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

haltz wrote:
Schlich wrote:haltz, am i wasting $5/mo for unblock-us? I've heard hola has had issues in the past.
Last year I used to have to re-enter my pw, try to access from multiple different countries, and I'd get kicked off every once in a while. Hasn't happened once this year.

Maybe they realized that it isn't in their interest to stop anyone from watching the games. My account has multiple IPs watching the game from all over the world with an STL-based credit card at the helm. It's pretty ridiculous, really.
I used Hola's chrome extension when I was in blackout territory because it was free and I didn't want to use a router-level solution, but FYI: http://lifehacker.com/hola-better-inter ... 1707496872

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

So, after dealing with Comcast for the last few years and paying outrageous prices, giving serious thought to buying a roku and subscribing to SlingTV and HBOnow.

It looks like Slingtv offers all the channels i watch--AMC, IFC, all the sports channels, sans MLB Network (but i could deal without that), and add on HBO and ive got literally all the channels i watch for $40/month.

Has anyone here tried SlingTV? Whats your experience with it?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I tried it. It was...not good. I feel like it takes the station's online feed, slows it down, and then [expletive] it out. Watching TBS/TNT/etc during march madness was terrible. Those stations have horrible online platforms and sling tv did little to alleviate that problem. ESPN is usually watchable so long as there isn't a huge demand. During higher demand periods, like during some of the BCS playoff games iirc, I had problems getting sling to work properly.

As a person that only needs those channels for the big events, I found it completely underwhelming. If you watch it everyday and go to bars for all the bigger games, thogh, you'd probably find it pretty adequate.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

I cut the cord a long time ago, but plugged it back in about 6 months ago. Comcast, yeah, expensive, but I've come around to the point of view that it's expensive the way that any good product is expensive, like how a really comfortable pair of Air Maxes is more expensive than other sneakers. Their internet is super fast, I don't have to jump through hoops and do shady illegal stuff to watch a show, DVR is super convenient. While it's dancing with the big corporate devil I'm happy enough to do it because the devil's a good dancer.