Cutting the Cable/Satellite Cord

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Re: Cutting the Cable/Satellite Cord

Post by Popeye_Card »

TimeForGuinness wrote:I'd love to cut the cord, but I love sports.

I wish MLB/NHL/NFL/whatever would ditch the blackout rules, push it out on the web, and let me pay for their product.
One advantage to living outside of the market.

Except for the NFL. Then you have to get DirecTV, and you have to pay them $350 a year or whatever for Sunday Ticket. Otherwise, when you're trapped in the Bengals/Browns/Lions/Steelers/Colts pentagram as I am, you never have a chance in hades of seeing the Rams on TV.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

G. Keenan wrote:I really think not having cable has been good for me. Between Netflix, Hulu, and projectfree.tv I can follow all the quality tv shows I want. Without cable there isn't the temptation to just sit there wasting away the hours channel surfing. Instead I'll read a book, listen to NPR, clean the house, or something more productive. Another thing I don't miss is the constant commercial bombardment you get with cable.
Hanging out at a friend's house the other day I was getting super annoyed by how many commercials there are. I'm used to having no commercials now and it's really nice. I'm not home a lot so when I am home it's nice to be able to watch more episodes of a show in a shorter period of time.

cpebbles
Perennial All-Star

Post by cpebbles »

G. Keenan wrote:Another thing I don't miss is the constant commercial bombardment you get with cable.
Poor GK has missed out on the six hours of Matt Kemp talking about "beast mode" that I got to experience watching spring training games the last month.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Post by TimeForGuinness »

cards2468 wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:I really think not having cable has been good for me. Between Netflix, Hulu, and projectfree.tv I can follow all the quality tv shows I want. Without cable there isn't the temptation to just sit there wasting away the hours channel surfing. Instead I'll read a book, listen to NPR, clean the house, or something more productive. Another thing I don't miss is the constant commercial bombardment you get with cable.
Hanging out at a friend's house the other day I was getting super annoyed by how many commercials there are. I'm used to having no commercials now and it's really nice. I'm not home a lot so when I am home it's nice to be able to watch more episodes of a show in a shorter period of time.
I was watching the Walking Dead on my DVR...5 minutes of show, 5 minutes of commercials.

I'm wearing out the fast forward button on my remote.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

TimeForGuinness wrote:
cards2468 wrote:
I was watching the Walking Dead on my DVR...5 minutes of show, 5 minutes of commercials.

Hah, actually I was watching Walking Dead at my friend's house. It was season 1 which is on Netflix and I have it on BluRay. I got annoyed to the point of recommending I run home and grab my copy. I think when you're used to watching cable you don't realize how much time is wasted on commercials. I think I was used to using that time to go to the bathroom, start cooking food, grabbing a drink, letting the dog out, w/e that I didn't realize how inefficient it makes your relaxation time.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

TimeForGuinness wrote:
cards2468 wrote:

The commercials are probably the biggest reason I can't handle cable anymore now that I think about it. You're paying $70/month for the privilege of watching ads. I'll just pay $8/month for Netflix and wait until a show I want to watch comes out on DVD. The worst that happens is I have to avoid spoilers for 6 months.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

i have directv and i haven't watched a commercial in years....dvr

sure, crap thats just on that we're not watching (HGTV and crap like that) will have ads, but we're not "watching" it.

but my shows/sports that i watch....dvr only. of course i have kids so i couldnt watch them live even if i wanted to.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Post by TimeForGuinness »

G. Keenan wrote:
TimeForGuinness wrote:
cards2468 wrote:

The commercials are probably the biggest reason I can't handle cable anymore now that I think about it. You're paying $70/month for the privilege of watching ads. I'll just pay $8/month for Netflix and wait until a show I want to watch comes out on DVD. The worst that happens is I have to avoid spoilers for 6 months.
Yup, that's where I'm at.

About ready to start Breaking Bad...all I know is that it's a great show.

Might even start Lost if I feel up for it.

I don't watch a lot of TV. I'd rather listen to music.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Popeye_Card wrote:I think I could do it. The fiance on the other hand, probably not. I use the AppleTV a heck of a lot more than she does. So I'm stuck with DirecTV.
yeah, if it wasn't for my girlfriend I'd do it for sure, and just figure out a proxy workaround for Cards games online. But if she didn't have a DVR full of shows it would be the end of the world, so I'm stuck with the full uverse experience (which is pretty awesome, ftr).

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

Tambourine Man wrote: 82's idea of 6 on/6 off is appealing.
It works pretty well for me as far as saving a bit of money and meeting my entertainment interests. I really don't watch much TV outside of sports, Daily Show/Colbert and specific shows that I know are good going in, otherwise I prefer to watch movies. Once I get hooked on a show I want to plow through entire seasons at a time and don't want to pay for a mega every channel package/DVR/etc.

Time Warner has a package here for $45/month that has all the HD channels I want. I'm a football junkie and it's crazy how many games (especially college) are shown on TV now, so cable is a must for at least those few months. If I lived in the Cardinals market I would probably just keep that year round and cut out everything else, but I don't. I'm not going to pay for mlb.tv and cable at the same time either because I really don't have that much free time to get my money's worth from both, so I supplement baseball with a netflix or blockbuster unlimited rentals plan to get caught up on everything else.

I really wish some cable company would offer completely a la carte programming, but I know that will never happen.