GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 24 19, 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: March 29 12, 9:52 pm 
Perennial All-Star

I grew up with cable and watched TV/sports non-stop. My wife is opposed to cable and we didn't have it when we first got married due to budgetary constraints. Now we can easily afford it, but the only time I miss it is when there is a sporting event I really want to watch live, but even then there are often ways to watch it online for free or for a nominal fee that is way less than the monthly cable subscription. Netflix and hulu fill the regular TV void just fine. I love having my evenings scheduled around real life tasks instead of how I used to have my evenings scheduled around the TV schedule.

PostPosted: March 29 12, 10:49 pm 
accepts no jimitators

cardsfansince82 wrote:
Tambourine Man wrote:
82's idea of 6 on/6 off is appealing.

I really wish some cable company would offer completely a la carte programming, but I know that will never happen.

Bingo. I can go without baseball very easily, since my attention barely allows me to finish a movie much less a 3 hour game. But football...SB Sunday is my favorite day of the year and the day after is the worst. I rarely pay full attention to football games, but it's an all-day thing where I just turn on the TV and I'm set all day. And I do have Netflix and watch documentaries almost exclusively.

PostPosted: March 30 12, 3:50 am 
Perennial All-Star

What about bunny ears to watch the games on the major networks? You'd miss the games on ESPN, but it could still be mostly an all-day affair.

PostPosted: March 30 12, 10:34 am 
accepts no jimitators

Gashouse wrote:
What about bunny ears to watch the games on the major networks? You'd miss the games on ESPN, but it could still be mostly an all-day affair.

That's a solid idea.

PostPosted: March 30 12, 10:36 am 
bronoun enthusiast

Tambourine Man wrote:
Gashouse wrote:

That's a solid idea.

I think most cable companies provide local channels for like $10 a month.

PostPosted: March 30 12, 12:12 pm 
Perennial All-Star

bob thrill wrote:
Tambourine Man wrote:
Gashouse wrote:

That's a solid idea.

I think most cable companies provide local channels for like $10 a month.

or if you have cable internet just run a line to your tv. This always seems to have the local tv plus a few channels

I used to get cable for baseball playoffs, but once mlb.com appeared and radio/video over the internet I havent had a need for cable.

I prefer watching tv shows after they have completed their run and you can watch them on DVD or on netflix. No commercials and the gratification of not having to wait for several years to see how your favorite show ends.

This was great for Lost, the Wire, Battlestar, etc

My big reason is that when I have cable around I just surf to find something because I am prone to that. I would rather make the choice of what i want and make it an active decision of what to watch.

PostPosted: March 30 12, 12:14 pm 
Hall Of Famer

I thought about it, but just having kids makes me want to keep it. Great babysitter.

PostPosted: April 8 12, 6:53 pm 
accepts no jimitators

Arrrghhh...New Deadliest Catch is killing me. My Sig Hansen man crush must end.

PostPosted: April 9 12, 4:49 pm 
Fringe Major League Player

No cable. It's great and a great way to save a few dollars. I do more reading and we have more conversations without it. We tried it for a while because the lady thought it would be a good idea, lasted a very short time. There are some great pubs we can walk to to watch games that are not televised on regular channels which is actually quite a nice way to run into neighbors and friends unexpectedly

PostPosted: April 10 12, 10:03 am 
accepts no jimitators

I did it. This must be how a dog feels after being neutered.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 32  Next