Interview: Glasses or Contacts?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!

Choose wisely

Glasses
13%
Contacts
38%
Leroy's Monocle
50%

Total votes: 8

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Interview: Glasses or Contacts?

Post by AdmiralKird »

I'm not interviewing for a position, but I thought about this recently. When I was interviewing for positions in finance and accounting, I didn't have a wearable pair of glasses. I was awoken about two years ago by about eight kids screaming in the pool right outside, and I had only been asleep for about three hours, so in my frustration I slammed shut my heavy four inch thick steel window, adjacent to my bed, and ended up crushing my frames, which were resting on the ledge, right down the bridge. I didn't have money to spare at the time and didn't want to dish out for something I could do without since since I wear contacts all the time. My glasses are generally quite expensive because of my high prescription of -7.75 astigmatic and -8 diopter lenses, and I need the thinnest composite lenses possible to not look like Harry Caray. I finally got a new pair and they're pretty fab, granted they still kind of look like large crystals, but hey, what can you do.

Some people say wearing glasses makes you appear smarter, which might give you a boost in a 'brainy' field, others say its better to look your best by wearing contacts. Does it make a difference?

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Re: Interview: Glasses or Contacts?

Post by docellis »

what the heck are they sitting on?

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Glasses make you look weak and nerdy. The monocle would make them worry that you are already rich and not take the job seriously because you don't need it. Go with contacts.

Seriously, go with whatever you prefer personally. The better you feel about your appearance the more confidence you will project and the better you will interview. The little things add up.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

docellis wrote:what the heck are they sitting on?
Yes. I would also like to what that is.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

I had to wear glasses for a couple of years after I couldn't wear contacts any longer. I hated glasses so badly I took a laser to my eyeballs. I simply can not stand glasses, so I would vote contacts.

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

I wear my glasses in any interview. Makes you look smarter depending on the glasses.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

TGantz wrote:I wear my glasses in any interview. Makes you look smarter depending on the glasses.
That's true. These do not make you look smarter...

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

I read a story where a lawyer would always have his clients wear glasses at trials because they make people look smarter, and thus, more believable.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Wait--is this thread about what to WEAR to an interview, or what to DO during an interview: drink or start an orgy?